Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 07:37 AM

Skivers Charter?

Doctors want employers to trust their employees more and allow them two weeks sick leave without a doctors note .
This they say will reduce queues in doctors surgeries .
Is this is good idea or is it a skivers charter ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 08:10 AM

Re: Skivers Charter?

The doctors are only doing it to reduce their own workloads.
I think it is a grand passport for the skivers, and I am sure it will be put to good use.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 09:05 AM

We already self certificate for one week, IMO this is lazy doctoring, if we can do a two week certificate they will be less likely to have to see us. I would suggest it's not a skivers charter though as many employers ignore the self certificates and guilt or bully employees into going to work no matter how sick they are feeling.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 09:11 AM

I think if someone has been ill for a week or so they need checking by a doctor anyway.

Statutory sick pay is quite low I believe so not sure why anyone would want to be on it longer than necessary .
Not that I would know, I had one day off (to have an operation) in a lifetime of working.

If I could get out of bed I was fit to work .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 09:14 AM

I never claimed sick pay when i worked, or signed on the dole if made redundant. More fool me.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 09:19 AM

It sounds like the doctors want a quiet life!
I used to feel guilty if l missed work and rarely did. These days, it seems being off sick is an extra perk for some! It doesn't matter that the others left behind are doing double their workload!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think if someone has been ill for a week or so they need checking by a doctor anyway.

Statutory sick pay is quite low I believe so not sure why anyone would want to be on it longer than necessary .
Not that I would know, I had one day off (to have an operation) in a lifetime of working.

If I could get out of bed I was fit to work .
Unless you work a certain number of hours you don't get it anyway, I'm not sure how many but even when I had three jobs doing 45 hours a week I never got ssp.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 02:16 PM

Companies don't care about employees any more, all they care about is liability, covering their own arses, and not getting themselves landed with perpetually sick people looking to milk the system.

As a result of that, all other employees have to suffer. Companies now routinely penalise employees for having a specific number of sick absences (usually 3) within a given period. They manage this as they would poor performance leaving employees worrying that they have a black mark on their record.

It's a patently stupid and irresponsible set of management processes.

What happens as a result is employee Fred contracts a nasty cold or flu virus and feels extremely ill. Not wanting a black mark, Fred hobbles into work, completely bereft of energy, unable to concentrate properly, sneezing and coughing over everything. He spreads the virus around the office on keyboards, door handles, kettles, mugs etc and eventually the virus makes its way around every employee in the office. Out of all those people many will take 1 day off, the worse day of symptoms, to try and recover so the company loses many days of productivity, all because they have a system that penalises Fred and makes him not want to have a day off work when he really needs it.

Employee Wilma also contracts a nasty virus over the weekend. Monday morning she feels awful, blocked up, can't speak very well due to inflamed throat and is weak and tired. She decides to stay at home and sensibly have a sick day. But the next day, Tuesday, she feels bad not being at work and so hobbles in, still very much ill and perseveres as best she can. Like Fred, she now spreads the virus around the entire office. Come Thursday the virus has gotten worse. Her body aches so much she just can't contemplate being anywhere except in bed. So she stays off. The next day is Friday and she figures there's no point going in as its the end of the week so stays off and rests the weekend. Her company, following the BS management process records her as having to bouts of separate sick leave, Monday and Thursday so she gets 2 of the 3 black marks for the given period even though this is the same illness.

The entire system is stupid, like so many other corporate processes such as performance related pay, performance improvement plans and so on. All designed for one thing, to reduce money expenditure and cover liabilities.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 08:33 PM

Please God, no.
I have enough problems with my lot as it is.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top