Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2016, 07:07 PM

Really rammed it home....

........How disgraceful our Government is..

I was in Swindon yesterday for a site meeting.
Just where I parked my car was a bridge. And underneath it was what someone called home.

When I arrived, there was nobody there, but when I left the guy had returned. I've attached a pic and you can see that he's tried to make this area homely for himself. Just a guy who lost his job and fell on hard times, no longer able to pay his rent etc.

This guy was not some smelly tramp either, he appeared to do his best under the circumstances to look as clean and respectable as able. You can't see it in the pic, but to the right is a makeshift bed.

I managed to have a natter to him and the council have simply refused to house him. I ended up giving him a couple of quid for a coffee (typically, that's all I had on me. or I would have given him more)

What boils my pee is things like this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfPTm5ZOkxE

We send billions abroad in foreign aid every year, seem to think nothing of housing immigrants who've not paid a bloody penny into our system, but our own who have worked for many years and paid in can sod off. Notwithstanding pensioners who have to make the choice of heat or eat, where many subsequently die.

This is what the guy called home.

I'm so furious I really don't know what to say.
Will we ever put our own first??

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2016, 07:11 PM

Re: Really rammed it home....

This guy was not some smelly tramp either, he appeared to do his best under the circumstances to look as clean and respectable as able. You can't see it in the pic, but to the right is a makeshift bed.

I managed to have a natter to him and the council have simply refused to house him. I ended up giving him a couple of quid for a coffee (typically, that's all I had on me. or I would have given him more)
I am afraid as a single male he is 'low priority' .
Now if he had been from an EU country with half a dozen children and no job he would have been found a house.
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...542#post911542
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2016, 07:19 PM

Garry
I totally agree.

The amount of exSquaddies that are homeless through no fault of their own(PTSD)is one I can't get my head round and also these that fall off the social ladder(for no fault of their own).

I see boarded up houses on council estates whilst out on council contract work and it boils my blood.

Why can't they be converted into flats? This would give at least 2 worthy people somewhere warm and dry to live and that all important job requirement.....an address.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2016, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Garry
I totally agree.

The amount of exSquaddies that are homeless through no fault of their own(PTSD)is one I can't get my head round and also these that fall off the social ladder(for no fault of their own).

I see boarded up houses on council estates whilst out on council contract work and it boils my blood.

Why can't they be converted into flats? This would give at least 2 worthy people somewhere warm and dry to live and that all important job requirement.....an address.
I know Terry,

Put their life on the line for the country, and they are still not worth a toss in the eyes of our "leaders"

I really wish I could win the bloody Euro millions or something one day to help people such as these. Knowing me I'd probably have 10p left for myself at the end of it...
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2016, 08:03 PM

Send the buggers back or let that priest or the church put them up - they've got enough properties dotted up and down.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2016, 08:47 PM

I find it hard to believe immigration is only reason for this, back in the 80s when we spent a year homeless immigration wasn't the problem if was house prices, lack of council houses Mrs T was selling them quicker than they could build them at the time.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2016, 08:52 PM

Now that makes me angry Fender.
This is why the salvation army is among a shortlist of charities that I will always support.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2016, 08:58 PM

I don't know why the EU is to blame for the shamefull jobless and homelessness in this country. That's down entirely to the Tories and Bankers in particular. Immigration, caused by the various wars we have been waging around the world, driving people out of their own homes, has merely added to the problems started by Thatcher in the 1980s.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2016, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I find it hard to believe immigration is only reason for this, back in the 80s when we spent a year homeless immigration wasn't the problem if was house prices, lack of council houses Mrs T was selling them quicker than they could build them at the time.
You've had it tough in the past Julie haven't you.
Your resilience, determination and spirit to fight your way out of the doldrums to the life you enjoy now is an inspiration to us all. Respect Julie......
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2016, 09:05 PM

Selling the council houses still made them a home for someone .

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top