Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2010, 05:29 PM

My new "old" computer

I'll try not to be too wordy here. I wanted to increase my system RAM from 2 to 6 gig. In order to do this effectively with my ASUS P5 WIFI motherboard and Windows XP I needed to upgrade to Windows 7 . I backed up everything to D: drive and promptly picked up a virus that chewed up C: drive. No problem! I was going to overwrite it with the new operating system anyway. I was incredibly fortunate that I had just backed up everything before the virus.

The end result is a super fast & powerful system with 6 gig of high speed RAM running 64 bit Windows 7. All my software has been reloaded as 64 bit and is running lightning fast. Adobe Photoshop CS5 with OneOne Genuine Fractals 6, PhotoTools 2.5 & PhotoFrame 4.5.1 is so cool. I'm now also running dual monitors, a 22" ASUS and my 37" Toshiba LCD. Can't begin to tell you how wonderful it all is running through my Sony stereo. Pictures will follow.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2010, 09:48 PM

Re: My new "old" computer

Glad you got it sorted Bob!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2010, 08:14 AM

Bob, which photo editing program do you find the best?
Adobe edition 8 tends to take over with me so I am searching for a good program.

It is surprising what extra memory does,I have 6Gb running W7 on one computer and it is loads faster than 4Gb on my XP computer. Good luck with it.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Bob, which photo editing program do you find the best?
Adobe edition 8 tends to take over with me so I am searching for a good program.

It is surprising what extra memory does,I have 6Gb running W7 on one computer and it is loads faster than 4Gb on my XP computer. Good luck with it.
I have owned & used Adobe products. The two I highly recommend are Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0 and Photoshop CS5. Elements will do most things the average snapshooter needs. Photoshop CS5 is the best graphics editor on the planet but will cost you over $700 unless you can find a good deal. I own both programs because of a special offer from Adobe. Once I started using CS5 I've never used Elements again. Photoshop CS5 can do anything.

So, it boils down to two factors, how serious you take photography & how big is your bank account. Hope this info helps.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2010, 11:43 AM

Thanks Bob, I will have a look at CS5, money is not a problem just the wife.

Does Adobe Elements 8 not try to run everything to do with Photography on your computer?
bobmielke
Portland, OR

06-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Thanks Bob, I will have a look at CS5, money is not a problem just the wife.

Does Adobe Elements 8 not try to run everything to do with Photography on your computer?
Photoshop Elements is a limited version of CS5. Very limited in comparison. Still, for the price, it's better than most.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2010, 07:47 AM

Your computer setup sound great Bob. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit myself but with only 4GB of RAM and a single 22" (1080 x 1920) Dell monitor. All works well.

I couldn't justify buying Photoshop for the amount of photography I do. I have version 9 of the Coreldraw Suite that includes Photo-Paint. This fulfils the photographic processing needs quite well. Or I have Xara Xtreme that can do quite a bit of clever stuff to photos.

Some of the free programs are good. Having tried a few, I think the best one is Photoscape. It looks quite basic to start with but exploring the program thoroughly reveals some quite comprehensive features.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

09-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Your computer setup sound great Bob. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit myself but with only 4GB of RAM and a single 22" (1080 x 1920) Dell monitor. All works well.

I couldn't justify buying Photoshop for the amount of photography I do. I have version 9 of the Coreldraw Suite that includes Photo-Paint. This fulfils the photographic processing needs quite well. Or I have Xara Xtreme that can do quite a bit of clever stuff to photos.

Some of the free programs are good. Having tried a few, I think the best one is Photoscape. It looks quite basic to start with but exploring the program thoroughly reveals some quite comprehensive features.
There are lots of free graphics programs out there that handle basic editing needs for the average digital photographer. Picasa, GIMP & the lower end Photoshop Elements will handle these tasks. I own both Elements 6 & 7 versions.

I'm at a level, photographically, that requires more horsepower from graphics software. I shoot panoramics using 3-5 frames blended together to form a wider view of a scenic such as a waterfall. I also shoot HDR (High Dynamic Range) series of 3-5 photos that result in framed works hanging on my walls.

I'm not a rich man, in fact I'm unemployed as of 8 days ago. I've upgraded my software through the years as Adobe, maker of Photoshop products, makes offers that drastically reduce their top software. Example: I bought Photoshop CS5, a $750 package, for $199. I couldn't turn that opportunity down.

I have three hobbies that I've developed through the years, Photography, Computers & Motorcycle Touring. All three work very well together. As I age the rides get shorter and less frequent, the Photography gets more specialized and my personal standards get tougher as my graphics software makes creative editing easier & faster. These days I photograph for my own enjoyment and for those who see my attempts in capturing this marvelous part of the United States. I don't sell photographs anymore. I used to. It's my passion as well as the main source for physical exercise.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
Example: I bought Photoshop CS5, a $750 package, for $199. I couldn't turn that opportunity down.
I might have been tempted at that Bob, even though I'm not up to the photography standard as your good self. I'd still have had to convince Mrs. mart that we couldn't face life without it though.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2010, 12:32 PM

The www.gimp.org is pretty good for the price - it's free

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top