Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin
The Tourist is male  The Tourist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2010, 02:56 AM

Do you use Japanese cutlery?

After retiring from my "adult job" I began sharpening knives. Not with grinders, but using the same waterstones and polishing techniques of a Japanese togishi, but applying that procedure to laminate kitchen knives.

Since many of you are from various areas around the globe, has the trend in Japanese knives affected you, or is it more in my location?--Chico
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2010, 12:14 PM

Re: Do you use Japanese cutlery?

Sorry, but I have never heard of that before! When I was a wee girl, my Dad would sharpen the kitchen knives on a hone, or on the shonework of outside our tenement building!

Must ask my Japanese/American friend what they do!!
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2010, 01:43 PM

Sounds really interesting although I haven't come across Japanese knives. My husband sharpens our knives with a wet (sp?) stone. I did use chopsticks at a Thai restaurant on a hen night Saturday, with 17 Thai women!!! That was fun!!!

June x
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin
The Tourist is male  The Tourist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2010, 04:21 PM

I buy my stuff (both for my clients and for personal use) from a place called www.japanwoodworker.com

It sounds like many of you are in Europe, and I do know how they ship overseas, or if they can do it, at all.

They list the brand names of their knives at their sight. My guess is that some iron monger or cutlery reseller carries that exact knife.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2010, 04:58 PM

I have a collection of `global` knives if that counts. A sharp knife is a basic essential for any cook in my opinion
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2010, 05:10 PM

I am not sure if I have come across any Japanese knives or not, but I know most of the knives and cutlery in my drawers are not British steel. I know most of the knives and cutlery are made abroad these days. For me - give me good old Sheffield made cutlery and silver plate any day. It was considered the finest that could be produced anywhere (but I would also perhaps include Swedish as well). Unfortunately, British labour and manufacturing costs became too expensive for companies to compete. Most of this industry has gone now, along with the steel making and craftsmen that Sheffield was famous for. There was certainly "muck and money" made in Sheffield at one time. Cleaner now, of course.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2010, 05:17 PM

British Steel?

Now this may be just another urban myth but somewhere I remember knives being made in India and called `British Steel`

There were made from British steel-old railway lines.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2010, 05:33 PM

I don't think it was so in the heyday of Sheffield steel, Old Git, many, many moons ago. As manufacturing became too expensive in England, factories were set up abroad and materials were shipped out to other countries; the cheaper labour there made it into the blanks, and then it was returned to Sheffield for finishing off. This way they could still put "Sheffield steel" on it. I think it did eventually get murkier and murkier regarding origination (I don't know if some of it was recycled steel - wouldn't be surprised) Eventually even this was not economically viable anymore and so Sheffield lost the majority of its steel making industries to countries who produced much cheaper.

My father used to work for the British Iron and Steel Federation in London (London is where I was born) and he transferred up to Sheffield with his job. He eventually ended up working for importers and exporters of minerals and ferro alloys used in the steel-making industry.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

04-08-2010, 06:43 PM

And Lo-Thatcher came upon a land and she saw a vision. Let us sell this land and make the yuppies come and bow before me. Let service industry come also.

And the land was sold . And so Meadowhall was begat and the cars did flock upon this new land. Look upon these new jobs she cried ,her minions also.

And nobody asked?

But what will those out of work do? And these jobs? are they not taken from small businesses in the vicinity?

And the wise said to a little civil servant "taketh thee no promotion rating for thou hast an attitude problem"
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Tourist ->
I buy my stuff (both for my clients and for personal use) from a place called www.japanwoodworker.com

It sounds like many of you are in Europe, and I do know how they ship overseas, or if they can do it, at all.

They list the brand names of their knives at their sight. My guess is that some iron monger or cutlery reseller carries that exact knife.
I daren't let my husband see that website lol He just loves kitchen gadgets and knives!!

June x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top