Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 12:14 PM

Manipulation

Manipulation.

Manipulation is the skillful handling, controlling or using of something or someone. Whether it's the sculpture you made in art class or how you convinced your friend to do your homework — both are considered manipulation.

I have lost the ability to manipulate objects because of damage to my hands, an ability i miss greatly.

I dont think i fall for advertising manipulation, but at the moment with the referendum i cant be sure.

I dislike those that manipulate, for personal gain.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 12:31 PM

Re: Manipulation

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I dislike those that manipulate, for personal gain.
Manipulation for personal gain is something most of us experience and do.

Who hasn't been told 'go to sleep or Santa Claus won't come' so parents can get a bit of peace that is a form of 'manipulation for gain'.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 12:33 PM

I know what you mean Nom, my hands are very painful and it's so frustrating not being able to strangle people!
The kind of manipulation I dislike is emotional blackmail. Feeling responsible for others unhappiness even though you know you're not is horrible!
I get angry when I see others doing that but, I'm one of those people who gets sucked in, luckily I'm getting better at cutting people off if they start that nonsense!
Manipulation for personal gain should be a crime! Put perpetrators in a big hole and poke them until they change shape! Poink!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 12:40 PM

I agree with what you're saying Tess.
I have been manipulated in the past, quite seriously too, and it is indeed, an unhappy situation to find yourself in.
Like many things that happen to us, if we learn from the experiences, it should teach us (A) not to let it happen again, and (B) don't treat others like that.

Oooh Nommy, you've gone all deep and meaningful this morning. Cheer up, treasure.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 12:46 PM

I don't like to see manipulation for gain or in a bad way but I do think we owe it to our kids to manipulate their young lives to make them best adults they can, I know I manipulated the system and yes used emotional blackmail just a tad to get grace into her school, looking back I was shameless but she is doing fabulously well at the school where they are bringing more out in her than the local primary ever could so I won't be feeling too guilty about that.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 02:06 PM

I suppose we all do it if we were to analyse ourselves, most likely it’s a natural thing, in the oldest story ever told Eve manipulated Adam into taking a bite out of the Apple too, probably to minimise her own guilt. we would be better off manipulating things instead of people, messing around with other folks minds for your own gain is criminal to me and should be against the law. The women seem to be better at it, as I type the wife is trying to drag me into a debate she’s having with her sisters in the kitchen, it’s about another family member as usual and I don’t want to know about it, she knows well I don't partake in talking about people who are not here to defend themselves yet she continues to try to rope me in, old fashioned back biting in full swing, as my old Spanish friend used to say"Ees terrible"
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree with what you're saying Tess.
I have been manipulated in the past, quite seriously too, and it is indeed, an unhappy situation to find yourself in.
Like many things that happen to us, if we learn from the experiences, it should teach us (A) not to let it happen again, and (B) don't treat others like that.

Oooh Nommy, you've gone all deep and meaningful this morning. Cheer up, treasure.

Ive always tried to put up a variety of topics, some just fun some less so to try and echo what we all experience. I find the feedback from members interesting, and something that can teach me things.

Is there a fine line between manipulation and motivation re our friends and children, one can seem positive if done for the right reason.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 03:58 PM

I, personally, like these "searching" threads, it's nice to know others have similar feelings and hang-ups.
Sometimes, you just need a sounding board...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Ive always tried to put up a variety of topics, some just fun some less so to try and echo what we all experience. I find the feedback from members interesting, and something that can teach me things.

Is there a fine line between manipulation and motivation
re our friends and children, one can seem positive if done for the right reason.

Interesting thought. There is a difference when you think about it, although it may just be in your own head. Let me explain that if I can.
Imagine you lacked motivation to do, or finish a project, or perhaps even to get out of bed in the mornings. Then along comes someone with just the right words or attitude to spur you on, cheer you up, and get you going again, would you say you had been 'motivated' or 'manipulated'?
My guess is if had a good result you would tend to think of it as being made to feel 'motivated'.

If, however, that same person had come along and made you feel you ought to be getting on, yet when you did, it all went horrible wrong and you felt even worse than before, then you would probably think you had been 'manipulated'.

So is it the outcome that decides whether you have been motivated or manipulated, or how your own mind chooses to interpret it?

This is another of those musings I know what is in my head but find it hard to put into words. I hope it makes some sort of sense.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

16-06-2016, 06:58 PM

Ah, but...
If they encouraged you to do something because they wanted you to do it, that would be manipulation! (I think, my brain hurts)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top