Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 10:43 AM

Boy, 2, Snatched By Alligator At Disney Resort

How dreadful is this?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/boy-2-snat...060348344.html

Police are searching for a child who was snatched by an alligator at Disney’s Magic Kingdom Park in Florida.

The two-year-old boy was paddling in a foot of water on a beach near a hotel beside the Seven Seas Lagoon at 9pm when the animal attacked and dragged him away.

Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demmings said: “The father was there nearby and the alligator came up and attacked. The father struggled and tried to get his son and was not successful and he alerted others nearby to assist him.

“We have in excess of 50 law-enforcement personnel at the scene actively searching the lake.

"As a father and a grandfather, we are hoping for the best in the circumstances but, based upon my 35 years of law enforcement experience, we know we have some challenges ahead of us.”

Police have cordoned off the area while boats and a helicopter search the 14ft-deep man-made lagoon which is bordered by three holiday resorts and sand beaches.

It is not clear if the child’s family, who are from Nebraska, were staying at the resort.

Magic Kingdom Park is one of four theme parks in the Walt Disney World Resort.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 11:02 AM

Re: Boy, 2, Snatched By Alligator At Disney Resort

It is absolutely dreadful, but I'm puzzled ...

Surely the Disney theme parks are built from scratch?
So how come there was an alligator in the lake?
And if there was, and it was known, then surely going into the water would have been strictly banned?

This doesn't add up to me.

Was the negligence Disney's or the father's?
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 11:08 AM

Poor little lad. It does seem quite odd that a theme park has live alligators. A place to feel safe. I wonder if warnings are issued.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Poor little lad. It does seem quite odd that a theme park has live alligators. A place to feel safe. I wonder if warnings are issued.
That's my point Goldi, a tot doesn't end up in deadly peril like this unless he's allowed to!

Are we to believe that Disney had no idea that there was an alligator in the lake?
Or did the father ignore warnings?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 11:27 AM

The lagoon is almost 200 acres in size and Florida has alligator farms, I don't know how the resort could guarantee none would get in, or be expected to.

Saying that it appears there are no signs warning of the dangers.

There's "no swimming" signs but these are there because of the boats on the lake.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1206  
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 12:16 PM

I haven´t been there but I would presume that people think because it´s a "child friendly" place they wouldn´t expect to be in danger from Alligators. I would also presume that if this particular area is accessible to the public there would be large warning signs, plus of course, if people can get in then the alligators can also get out.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 12:44 PM

That's absolutely dreadful and so distressing for all concerned.

We have stayed in the Lake Buena Vista area and Kissimmee area and there are Beware of Alligators signs everywhere on the many lakes and rivers of Florida.

A week after we came home from Florida in 2013 we were shocked to read of an alligator entering the Walmart store where we used to regularly shop, this was 5 mins away from our hotel.

Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 12:51 PM

It was after some crocodile clips.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 08:08 AM

The body of the little boy has been found.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 08:30 AM

How horrible

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top