Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 04:34 PM

The Good Old Days.

My mum used to cut chicken, chop eggs and

spread butter on bread on the same cutting board with the same knife

and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax

paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't

remember getting e. Coli

Almost all of us would have rather gone

swimming in the lake or at the beach instead of a pristine pool (talk

about boring), no beach closures then.

We all took PE ..... And risked permanent

injury with a pair of Dunlop sandshoes instead of having

cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in

light reflectors that cost as much as a small car. I can't recall any

injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we
are now.

We got the cane for doing something wrong at

school, they used to call it discipline yet we all grew up to accept

the rules and to honour & respect those older than us.

We had 50 kids in our class and we all

learned to read and write, do maths and spell almost all the words

needed to write a grammatically correct letter......., FUNNY THAT!!

We all said prayers in school irrespective of

our religion, sang the national anthem and no one got upset.

Staying in detention after school caught all

sorts of negative attention we wish we hadn't got.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish

something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were

without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV

cable stations. We weren't!!

Oh yeah .... And where were the antibiotics

and sterilisation kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played "King of the Hill" on piles of

gravel left on vacant building sites and when we got hurt, mum pulled

out the 2/6p bottle of iodine and then we got our backside spanked.

Now it's a trip to A & E, followed by a 10 day dose of

antibiotics and then mum calls the lawyer to sue the contractor for

leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had

ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could

we possibly have known that?

We never needed to get into group therapy

and/or anger management classes. We were obviously so duped by so many

social ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country

wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA.

AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T, SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED.

WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING!
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 04:44 PM

Re: The Good Old Days.

I first read that years ago and it made me feel queasy then. I do feel a little sorry for the in-denial author who clearly has a problem with change.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 04:59 PM

Fab !
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 05:37 PM

The thing is, that was the era before massive consumerism and before the country was sold down the river to mega-corporations and before intensive farming. In those days you got eggs from local farmers, probably still warm ! You got milk from a real dairy that wasn't pasteurised, good nutritious raw milk.

Your average chicken wasn't hobbling around with injuries from battery farm in-fighting nor was it pumped full of antibiotics to keep it functioning amidst the cesspit conditions most chicken farms now are.

The world changed because greedy corrupt corporations took over with the sole intent of exploiting a dumb populous that would always dutifully "do as it was told" and which would believe any nonsense they cared to trot out.

The corruption and criminality gained ever higher levels of power until it was able to infiltrate and take over most of the authority groups of the country. At that point they could adjust the food laws to suit their products, leaving "real" producers to dwindle and fizzle out. They controlled the labelling laws, the laws on good/bad ingredients and so on.

We were all pretty much "Daffy Ducked" from that point on and our health has predictably suffered as a result.

The old era was good in many ways, it was more natural, more in tune with Nature, closer to Nature, but people are inherently stupid and easily lead, and little by little they voluntarily gave all the power to corrupt mega-corporations. Even today we still do. We moan and whinge about our foods but we still trot off to the supermarkets that stomped over local producers with size 12 Chukka boats and killed them off.

At this point the old era is inappropriate. Things have changed. You first have to undo those changes before we can return to that time when Nature formed a significant part of our lives. We have to shun supermarkets and instead encourage and support local traders/producers to come back again. We have to shun the Big Pharma medical industry, reject their expensive (and often harmful) potions and pills and take responsibility for our own health and find healing in Nature's produce. If we want our kids to enjoy activities aside from console and computer games then we have to let them take risks. What engages a kid is being treated like an adult and being allowed to do risky things. Take them dingy sailing, sledging, buy them a parachute kite to fly, let them climb over rocks, build a tree den etc etc.
Yes there will be some accidents, cuts, grazes, bruises but they will sure have fun.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
My mum used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread butter on bread on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

Our school sandwiches were wrapped in waxpaper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting e. Coli

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake or at the beach instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

We all took PE ..... And risked permanent injury with a pair of Dunlop sandshoes instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors that cost as much as a small car. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

We got the cane for doing something wrong at school, they used to call it discipline yet we all grew up to accept the rules and to honour & respect those older than us.

We had 50 kids in our class and we all learned to read and write, do maths and spell almost all the words needed to write a grammatically correct letter......., FUNNY THAT!!

We all said prayers in school irrespective of our religion, sang the national anthem and no one got upset.

Staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention we wish we hadn't got.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations. We weren't!!

Oh yeah .... And where were the antibiotics and sterilisation kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played "King of the Hill" on piles of gravel left on vacant building sites and when we got hurt, mum pulled out the 2/6p bottle of iodine and then we got our backside spanked. Now it's a trip to A & E, followed by a 10 day dose of antibiotics and then mum calls the lawyer to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?

We never needed to get into group therapy and/or anger management classes. We were obviously so duped by so many social ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we ever survive?
Yes, I remember those days.

Some would say we've 'moved on' since then. I'd say that much of this 'moving on' accounts for many of the problems we face today!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 08:23 PM

Eeeee, those were the days...
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 08:34 PM

These days, everything is such a big deal! Everything is questioned and analysed.
In those days, things were simpler. I don't think l'd ever heard of the word 'stress' in those days!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 08:44 PM

Those were the days of playing French cricket in the road.
Roller skating on beautiful smooth tarmacked roads.
Knocking on doors and running away.
Innocent kisses in alleyways between the houses.
Walking on your own safely in the dark.
Birds at the cream on the milk on the step.
Ice on the inside of windows.
And bum bum bum Esso Blue
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Those were the days of playing French cricket in the road.
Roller skating on beautiful smooth tarmacked roads.
Knocking on doors and running away.
Innocent kisses in alleyways between the houses.
Walking on your own safely in the dark.
Birds at the cream on the milk on the step.
Ice on the inside of windows.
And bum bum bum Esso Blue
Pesta, Did you play, 'Kick the Can? I loved 'rat tat ginger', Marbles and five stones!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

14-06-2016, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Pesta, Did you play, 'Kick the Can? I loved 'rat tat ginger', Marbles and five stones!
Oooh yes Art, marbles and five stones! What's Kick the Can apart from kicking a can?

Oooh, forgot French skipping too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top