Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 07:52 AM

Lake Grebes.

Apologies another thread about the Grebes on the lake.

Its now 12 years since i first started photographing these attractive birds. I haven't been down to the lake for a while, but a warm and pleasant day persuaded me to venture out with my gear in a backpack.

The young pair on the small lake have a single youngster and its well on its way to surviving.

And the old codgers on the large lake have at last nested and i was fortunate to pick the right day to watch them.

The nest site, is in an urban environment, you can just see it near the orange float.

The nest itself-is quite tatty they do like to incorporate bits of plastic fishing floats etc for decoration perhaps ?

I set my gear up and i was lucky to see the female adding to the single egg already in the nest, she latter added a third. You can just see the egg beginning too emerge.

I was joined by a renowned and published wildlife photographer, a real old fashioned gentleman. We tend to meet around the same time each year and we are both after a shot of the Grebes running across the water together, we are both still waiting.

My gear on the right, scope which i put my ancient compact against the eyepiece to take a shot, (didgiscoping).

The eggs are regularly tended, and both parents take turns on the nest.

The Female.

The Male.

As always when im sitting other wildlife can be seen around. A few Emerald damselflys about today very tiny insects.

A Great spotted woodpecker flitted above my head, and a Woodmouse dashed across the grass just a few feet away. But the biggest surprise was a movement against the raft that alerted me to a Terrapin trying to emerge from the water to bask in the sun. Some berk must have released it into the lake, a predator that will take fish amphibians and chicks. Hope its caught soon.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 08:03 AM

Re: Lake Grebes.

Fabulous photos, Nom, especially the one of the Grebe laying her egg - not a sight many would see!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 08:13 AM

This is as good as Spring Watch , you should be on it Nom, im sure they would love to be on a day out with you
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 08:22 AM

great Nom,
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 08:36 AM

Fantastic pictures Nom ... thank you
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 09:26 AM

Love all your pictures Nom.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 09:38 AM

Wonderful Nom, and you're much nicer than Chris Packem, but not as handsome as Martin I'll bet! (no one is)
I must try this digiscoping stuff!
How on Earth do you manage to carry all that gear?
I hope you do lots more of these threads, lovely to read a commentary with your wonderful photos!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 09:46 AM

Good photos Nom. That digiscoping works really well. Great detail.
braveheart
Edinburgh
braveheart is male  braveheart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 11:19 AM

Better than Springwatch.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Wonderful Nom, and you're much nicer than Chris Packem, but not as handsome as Martin I'll bet! (no one is)
I must try this digiscoping stuff!
How on Earth do you manage to carry all that gear?
I hope you do lots more of these threads, lovely to read a commentary with your wonderful photos!
I second that Tess. Great shots and great commentary Nom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top