Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 08:28 AM

Cool breeze and a sunny day.

I have not visited my primary wildlife patch for a while, this is where i have spent so many wonderful days, it may well be my last visit.

With the wind in the East, it kept the temperature to a comfortable level as i sat on the seats to watch the sea for birds, butterflies and cetaceans.

3 Painted lady butterfly's noted, there does seem to be an influx happening, no image myself, but a link for anyone interested.

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/speci...species=cardui .

It was a quite day bird wise especially on the sea, with Sandwich terns, Eider, and mixed gulls making up the bulk of passing seabirds, the only waders left on the rocks were a group of Oystercatchers, probably early retuning failed breeders.

Sandwich terns.

Oystercatchers.

As ever when im at the point passing folks will stop and chat and the most asked question i get is, "What is that big black bird ?"

Its a Cormorant.

I get to meet plenty dogs as im sat, sadly they are more interested in my packed lunch than myself.

Met with a couple of my fellow wildlife enthusiasts, one a lady in her 70`s comes down several times a week and walks for miles. We discussed the recent sightings around the patch including Bottlenose dolphin and Harbour porpoise.

The seals have left the island as they have to compete with the large influx of tourists and school parties now.

As the tide came in i decided to walk around the wetland, the first bird i saw was a very vocal Common Whitethroat singing away and showing why its so named.

Skylarks still performed their flight song in the fields adjourning the path.

The edges of the path had been savagely strimmed by the local council, leaving few wildflowers and nettles for the insects. However there were still a couple of flowers that held insects like these very tiny Cocksfoot moths.

No great surprises as June is a static month when all the comings and goings have happened and everything is away at there breeding sites, lots of hirundine`s about with the bulk being Swallow and Sandmartin, hawking for insects over the fields, ponds, and rocks.

The Exmoor ponies that had been resident on the wetland to keep the vegetation cropped, have now been removed so the ground nesting species wont be disturbed, so it was good to see a few flowers out as i was concerned the meadow might suffer a bit. Still Ox-eye daisy, Flag iris, Early purple orchid, Birds foot trefoil, and Ragged robin brightened up the place.

Flag Iris.

Ragged robin.

Birds foot trefoil, (eggs and Bacon).

myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 08:32 AM

Re: Cool breeze and a sunny day.

Nom such fantastic pictures and interesting "blog" ... thank you x
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 08:42 AM

enjoyed that day out with you Nom
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 08:48 AM

A excellent report and photos Nom .
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 08:50 AM

Lovely photos and great commentary Nom. Can I ask why Sandwich Terns are so named? Surely nobody puts them between two slices of bread and butter !
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 08:55 AM

That was lovely nom , splendid photos and very informative,
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Lovely photos and great commentary Nom. Can I ask why Sandwich Terns are so named? Surely nobody puts them between two slices of bread and butter !
It is the second part of its latin name sandvicensis, original named so by an ornithologist in 1787 John Latham, He operated near Sandwich Kent.

PS im not that clever i had to look it up.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 09:00 AM

How lovely! Really enjoyed that Nom!
I hope it's not your last trip there, what a super place.
Your very lucky having somewhere like that nearby to make joyful memories!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 09:43 AM

That was a smashing post NOm, lovely photo's, loved the lighthouse one with the bench, and the 'eggs and bacon' one. Aren't those old Cormorants scary looking old birds.
Glad you enjoyed your day out and thank you for sharing.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 09:56 AM

That was a wonderful pictorial trip (with narration no less!) that I personally will never get to see, so ta muchly sir.
I too enjoyed it.
And hope there will be more!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top