Join for free
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2010, 04:21 PM

My absenteeism excuse!

Our heat wave broke yesterday as a series of very violent thunderstorms swept thru the area with wind gusts up to 61 mph and drenching rains ..... and power loss! It went off at 3:30; I was annoyed as I was in the middle of posting, but figured it would be back in 2 - 3 hours as usual. Wrong!! Not till this morning about 7 am. Spent an 18th century evening by candlelight (ever scoop the litter tray by candlelight?); and no proper dinner .... tuna sandwich and crisps no veggie and worst of all no hot water for my cup of tea! The entire neighborhood was completely dark; spent it reading by candlelight on the porch. At one point there were over 30,000 people without power in the City, and worse in the suburbs.

I am definitely an internet addict .. kept looking at the dead screen and thinking of all those unanswered posts and unread e-mails.....

Nice to be back!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Re: My absenteeism excuse!

Welcome back DM!

I hate it when the electricity goes off - I'm lost and don't know what to do with myself!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2010, 05:08 PM

Sorry you had to suffer the loss of power DM, it just shows you how dependent we are on electricity,I always keep a large supply of candles for power cuts, trouble is finding them in the dark!.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2010, 05:19 PM

We will be losing our electricity on Wednesday, just for one day I hope!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Our heat wave broke yesterday as a series of very violent thunderstorms swept thru the area with wind gusts up to 61 mph and drenching rains ..... and power loss! It went off at 3:30; I was annoyed as I was in the middle of posting, but figured it would be back in 2 - 3 hours as usual. Wrong!! Not till this morning about 7 am. Spent an 18th century evening by candlelight (ever scoop the litter tray by candlelight?); and no proper dinner .... tuna sandwich and crisps no veggie and worst of all no hot water for my cup of tea! The entire neighborhood was completely dark; spent it reading by candlelight on the porch. At one point there were over 30,000 people without power in the City, and worse in the suburbs.

I am definitely an internet addict .. kept looking at the dead screen and thinking of all those unanswered posts and unread e-mails.....

Nice to be back!
Good to have you back!

I bet they had plenty of light in the White House, Eileen!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Good to see you back, DM It is awful when that happens! How true the saying is that "we don't miss the water until the well runs dry"!!

Hope your weather has gotten better now!

Take care.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2010, 08:10 PM

LOL, Mags, I just assume the White House has it's own generators! Weather is much more agreeable now, 28 C (82 F), sun and a good breeze. Downed trees and power lines being cleared away now, this was a very powerful line of storms. Unfortunately there were 4 deaths caused by falling trees...

Oh, candles ... I always have a LARGE supply of them on hand...
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Gosh Dandysmom, thought the thunderstorms here last week were bad enough!! Tragic when lives are lost because of storms. Glad all is well with you now........
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2010, 07:27 AM

I know just what you went through, I get withdrawl symptoms when the computer/internet is off.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top