Join for free
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 11:18 AM

World Record Attempt

A Doncaster cat owner narrowly missed out on a world record this morning by a whisker.
The man known locally as Old Grey Fox missed the record by 34 seconds recording a time of 1 hour 19 minutes 39 seconds and failed to better a time of 1 hour 19 minutes and 5 seconds which he himself set on Thursday of last week. The thrice weekly run is over a scenic 8.2 mile course which takes runners past a quaint little village that nobody has heard of and three canal bridges. Pace makers were used on this mornings attempt when a hare leaped out from the verge and proceeded to set the pace over a short quarter mile stretch before returning once more to the safety of the hedgerow. Further down the quiet country road a Squirrel took on the job of pacemaker but kept to the fence and finally scuttled off up a tree. Several spectators witnessed the attempt including a Partridge, Pheasant, three baby rabbits, several Blackbirds and a procession of Rooks who are currently residing in the treetops close to the Norman Church in the village that nobody has heard of. Amid whistles and clucks he eventually crossed the finish line where, after regaining his breath, was quoted as saying: “ I’ve been training all year for this attempt, even adding sprints to my training runs, which seem to be paying off because times have been consistently good over the last few weeks it’s only a matter of time before I smash that record. Poor times last year were caused by a troublesome Bunion that I believe was caused by being a member of the EU, hopefully when we vote to leave in a couple of weeks I can put all of that behind me.”
Todays attempt would have been valid as all the canal bridges remained open and even the traffic lights and level crossing were all clear.

WARNING: Running after two Heart Attacks should never be undertaken without the approval of a Doctor, or alternatively Delusions of Immortallity.

Despair, Old Grey Fox ponders his future in running after after just missing out on a world record attempt.....

MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 11:28 AM

Re: World Record Attempt

So close!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 01:32 PM

Hard luck Bob. Nice bit of reporting there from the correspondent, my compliments to the photographer for that great dramatic shot, it says it all really.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 01:55 PM

Aw commiserations Bob never mind 1 hour 19 minutes 39 seconds is still a great achievement for anyone
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 01:56 PM

Our vicar daughter has completed 'The Race for Life' today, in aid of cancer research, for which we were pleased to sponsor her. No breaking any records, but we are very proud of her all the same.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 02:21 PM

"The man known locally as Old Grey Fox missed the record by 34 seconds recording a time of 1 hour 19 minutes 39 seconds and failed to better a time of 1 hour 19 minutes and 5 seconds which he himself set on Thursday of last week."

To be fair you were running into a head-wind which would have impeded your progress somewhat. Try it next week when the wind is in your favour to shave off those vital few seconds.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 04:43 PM

I think that if I sent Mrs Fox after him, after telling her all the things he said about her, he could shave a minute off that time...... especially if she is carrying her rolling pin!

Don't worry Bob you will do it next time, and I will even bring my 5 cats to be your cheer leaders.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 05:35 PM

Well done you for even attempting it, you look totally K*******d in that great photograph, just completing that distance is an achievement. It deserves a big pat on the back.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 06:13 PM

Have a curry or plenty of baked beans the night before your run to give you that extra bit of momentum imo!
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 08:34 PM

And a dog owner wishes to congratulate you Watch out Mo

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top