Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2016, 11:51 PM

Rude TV interviewers

I am becoming sick and tired of hearing TV interviewers ask a question, the interviewee beginning to answer, and then the interviewer interrupting mid-sentence without giving the interviewee time to answer. This seems to be happening more and more these days, certainly more than interviews were conducted a few years ago.

I find this very rude for one thing, but also why ask the question if you're not going to wait for the answer?

I realise that they may be limited for time, but this constant interrupting achieves nothing. I want to hear what the interviewee has to say. Has anyone else noticed this?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 12:19 AM

Re: Rude TV interviewers

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I am becoming sick and tired of hearing TV interviewers ask a question, the interviewee beginning to answer, and then the interviewer interrupting mid-sentence without giving the interviewee time to answer. This seems to be happening more and more these days, certainly more than interviews were conducted a few years ago.

I find this very rude for one thing, but also why ask the question if you're not going to wait for the answer?

I realise that they may be limited for time, but this constant interrupting achieves nothing. I want to hear what the interviewee has to say. Has anyone else noticed this?

JBR, I think exactly the same, and fine it equally rude and irritating. It happens all the time, even on radio interviews.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 01:50 AM

I find it happens more often when political figures are being interviewed and while I don't disagree with your viewpoint, I sometimes think that the person being interviewed brings this on. They are asked a plain and direct question. Rather than answer it, they dance around the question, blathering about some unrelated position that they hold until the interviewer interrupts their monologue and asks them to please answer the question that was asked. Sometimes, the host never can get a straight answer to their question and the whole interview is a waste of time, for the interviewer AND his audience.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
I find it happens more often when political figures are being interviewed and while I don't disagree with your viewpoint, I sometimes think that the person being interviewed brings this on. They are asked a plain and direct question. Rather than answer it, they dance around the question, blathering about some unrelated position that they hold until the interviewer interrupts their monologue and asks them to please answer the question that was asked. Sometimes, the host never can get a straight answer to their question and the whole interview is a waste of time, for the interviewer AND his audience.
Can't disagree with that. Pollies need pulling into line, otherwise they just deliver a prepared statement totally irrelevant to the question. Too many interviewers let them get away with it.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 08:08 AM

As an invited guest on a TV programme some years back, the interviewer interrupted me and used a shortened version of my given name which I won't answer to. I soon put him in his place much to his chagrin!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 08:28 AM

JB while that might be the case in some instances , at other times politicians in particular clearly have a set speech in their head and whatever question is posed they repeat their 'mantra' again and again and will not answer . I think when this is the case interruption is justified .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 08:51 AM

I agree with JBR. It annoys me no end when the interviewer interrupts. Although it is widely known that politicians waffle on, sometimes they are interrupted before they get started.

I hate The One Show. They ask the guest (who is always flogging something) a question but before they can answer, the presenters are interrupting because they need to move on to the next item. The next item is normally some uninteresting recorded drivel.

What happened to proper interviews where we learned about the guest rather than their latest book or film?

I am a big fan of John Humphries on R4 but even he does it now.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 08:53 AM

Politicians do this frequently.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
JB while that might be the case in some instances , at other times politicians in particular clearly have a set speech in their head and whatever question is posed they repeat their 'mantra' again and again and will not answer . I think when this is the case interruption is justified .
Very true Meg, it must be frustrating for the interviewer to realise their questions are being answered in the same way as every other.
I do get annoyed at Matthew Wright interrupting callers and panel members all the time, he may as well sit there giving his opinion on his own sometimes!
I do like Andrew Marr, he seems unbiased and tries his best to winkle answers from people.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 09:29 AM

I don't think some of the interviewers listen! It's as if they are given a set questions and asking them is all that matters! It doesn't matter about the answer!
Sir Robin Day was one of the rudest interviewers but l still loved him.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top