Join for free
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 08:38 AM

VERSAILLES-new series

Anyone watch the first of this new series about Louis X1V?

Its looking pretty good already and what a shocker at the end!!
saying no more in case peeps have recorded.
P.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 08:57 AM

Re: VERSAILLES-new series

Yes, I did, it's looking good so far!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 09:31 AM

Yes, I happened by it but was glad I had

There's an awful lot of lip and eyebrow gesturing though!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 03:08 PM

What was all the chatting about at the end? Historians? Couldn't be bothered with it...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 03:45 PM

I actually liked the chat afterward as it explained what the director should have told us I the first place. It would have been useful if the chat had been before the main programme.

It was a bit confusing to start with as they all looked the same and all had the same hair style.

I'm going to continue watching though as I think it might improve.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 04:36 PM

'Rancid television'

It was trailed on news pages as the raunchiest show ever to be shown on British television. But now the first episode of 17thCentury drama Versailles has aired on BBC Two, many reviewers seem to have been more taken aback by the quality of acting and plot.

"An all-you-can-eat buffet of everything a historical drama will ever need, but it's lacking one ingredient - alas somewhat important - which is characters worth keeping your eyelids open for," writes Jasper Rees in the Daily Telegraph.

For Gabriel Tate in the Times, the France-Canada co-production was "gratuitous when it wasn't downright tiresome". He saysonce Versailles got over trying to shock, it improved a little, but it was a mystery how such an extraordinary tale could be so dull."

It receives one star from Christopher Stevens in the Daily Mail, who describes the Louis XIV drama as the "most lavishly rancid television ever screened".

Sam Wollaston in the Guardian shows a little more interest, describing the show as a "trashy, extravagant romp that takes liberties with the actuality but is quite a lot of fun."

Having read this little lot I'm not sure if I can be bothered!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 05:00 PM

Hi

Bad acting, poor plot, interspersed with sex and gratuitous nudity.

It will be a winner.
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 05:17 PM

Each to their own I accept that.
we are not influenced by any previous reviews/newspapers/whatever.
we like to form our own opinion and dont always agree with critics or popular opinion.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top