Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 07:04 AM

Stealing Time on social media

Employees who use social media in working hours.
Isn't this like stealing ?
Time that ones employer has paid for?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 07:27 AM

Re: Stealing Time on social media

Hi

Absolutely agree, you are paid to work, not skive.

There are even those who brag about it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 08:04 AM

The lads on the Council payroll are the worst I've seen, wheelie bin in one hand, mobile phone in the other, constantly.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 08:32 AM

I used to think that about long personal phone calls, and people shopping online at work too. And managers too scared to take any action.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Yes of course it is stealing; people who play on social media sites when they should be working are despicable thieves!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 09:17 AM

I remember when I worked in a doctors' practice in the office. The young boy there was either on his phone or sat watching YouTube videos. A woman was brought in as assistant manager and she did take him to one side with a warning, but I'd had enough of his laziness and left. (I was on the Temporary staff, and did get other work.) i liked most people but there wasn't enough varied work. The manager never gave me any, certainly she never asked what I did each day, and I hated her (she was new, came in after the original manager who was there when I joined) so it was a good enough time to go.

The young boy seemed to get all the praise! I got my praise when given my leaving present! Bit late there, darling!!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I remember when I worked in a doctors' practice in the office. The young boy there was either on his phone or sat watching YouTube videos. A woman was brought in as assistant manager and she did take him to one side with a warning, but I'd had enough of his laziness and left. (I was on the Temporary staff, and did get other work.) i liked most people but there wasn't enough varied work. The manager never gave me any, certainly she never asked what I did each day, and I hated her (she was new, came in after the original manager who was there when I joined) so it was a good enough time to go.

The young boy seemed to get all the praise! I got my praise when given my leaving present! Bit late there, darling!!!
Isn't that always the way Jazzi. Some managers are just not good at their job and I reckon they praise the shirkers because they don't know how to deal with them. People that work hard are overlooked because they don't cause problems.

Young people using social media at work get away with it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 09:42 AM

Hi

I worked in Government.

Any use of Social Media outside of your clocked off lunch time was a disciplinary offence, and people were dismissed for it.

It was accepted that from time to time, you may have to use the phone for personal things.

If you wanted to use the office phone, we had £10 a month deducted from salary.

Personal mobiles had to be switched off at work, only works ones allowed.

All works calls were recorded, so no getting away with it.

Every site you visited on the Internet was monitored, so no shopping in works time.

Fag Breaks?

Yes, but we were monitored, your key card was monitored at every door you went through.

The designated smoking area was accessed through a single door, timed in and out and you had to make the time up.

Everybody knew the system, it was just accepted.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Surely it depends on the job? My last job was one with lots of 'spare' time. I was not paid for doing things when all was going well but paid for my knowledge of what to do when thing went wrong.

When things were going right the machinery chugged along generating power without my intervention and that could be for weeks at a time. During that time I might have to make some adjustments which might take a few minutes or an hour but the rest of the time was 'mine'.

Plenty of time for reading, doing cryptics, foreign orders etc. There were time when you worked flat out for the whole shift but there were more times that you didn't, it was the nature of the work.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
I worked in Government........

Everybody knew the system, it was just accepted.
Whilst all that does seem a bit 'Big Brother', I'm sure it now rightly applies in most government jobs.
Just that Public Servants are easy targets, mate. For those who do not know the facts.

I too spent time with the Aus government and conditions were becoming similar to what you describe.
Although I guess Aussies will always be just a little more 'laid-back'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top