Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 10:11 AM

Time Off for Footie?

ACAS have announced that companies should be flexible with their staff, by giving them time off to watch the Footie on 10thJune.
they say" To prevent disputes arising, if staff want to watch their team in competition.
Will the time off be with pay I wonder? and what about the other half of workforce that dont like footie and want to work? surely you cant run a company on a deminished workforce, so it would have to close for the day, wouldn't it????

Well lets not stop there, what about Rugby fans and Wimbledon?
Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 10:25 AM

Re: Time Off for Footie?

I work for the NHS so it will be work as normal - i think its a silly idea, if staff want to watch the footie then they can take time off as annual leave, making sure there is enough staff left.
i like your point if ACAS are saying this for the footie why not for rugby, wimbledon and any other major sports event
I love Wimbledon and would quite like my boss to be flexible over the 2 weeks its on but as this is not going to happen then i will just rely on the highlights programme or take a couple of days off to watch
Also if England are playing then the majority of staff would want that time off so who will be manning the office
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 10:25 AM

Hi

With a bit of luck they won't need any time off.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7054631.html
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 11:02 AM

It's not unknown to allow time off for footie.

Years back, can't think which World Cup it was, but a railway engineering company I cleaned for did. First, they were all watching or listening to it online (not working) and the boss bowed to pressure .. whenever there was an England match they knocked off early.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 11:07 AM

Beyond stupidity, but then again so is football...
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 11:15 AM

Different sport - ice hockey - but same idea....
Where my husband works, they brought in a telly.
It stopped a lot of sick-days, and the whole day wasn't wasted.
Of course, that wouldn't work in every situation.

Oh, and they'll have the EURO tournament on - all sports get shown.
And apparently some work does get done!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 11:56 AM

Football, like any other sport is a mere leisure activity, and no one should be permitted to take time off from their day job to attend a match, especially a teacher!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Beyond stupidity, but then again so is football...

I agree.
It could also open the floodgates for other sports enthusiasts to want time off for their sport too.
What next - go on strike if they don't get their way?
Butterfly2013
Canada
Butterfly2013 is female  Butterfly2013 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 03:07 PM

At work we have a large scree TV in our lunchroom, right now it is on a news channel, but whenever there is an event like the Olympics, Euro or World cup, that is what is on and many take several breaks to watch a bit of it. Also, many of us have it on our computers.....our bosses close their eyes on these occasions lol
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfly2013 ->
At work we have a large scree TV in our lunchroom, right now it is on a news channel, but whenever there is an event like the Olympics, Euro or World cup, that is what is on and many take several breaks to watch a bit of it. Also, many of us have it on our computers.....our bosses close their eyes on these occasions lol
I would not be thrilled if any employee of mine was watching sport when they should be working, I think that should be a sackable offence.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top