Join for free
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2016, 09:00 PM

Who to believe

I just dont know what to think, My only SIL in her 80s , broke her hip earlier this year, now repaired, now says she cannot walk or do anything. she has a carer once a day but says she doesnt want any extra care, she doesnt want to go to day centers ,says she cant walk so cant go. Her family are getting fed up,say she can walk but isnt trying and the son living at home is under strain trying to care for her as he works full time [ the others live away but come back at times to clean the house and do what they can] . I am unable to see her myself ,but speak to her and the family independantly on the phone.There is now measures for her to go to respite care for a month to give them a break,she doesnt want to go
My dilemma is Who to believe ,I am fond of all of them ,who's right /wrong
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2016, 09:22 PM

Re: Who to believe

Who to believe ,I am fond of all of them ,who's right /wrong
I would say no right or wrong and that your SIL has lost her confidence and needs gentle encouragement.

Maybe with your SIL's permission talk to her GP about some physiotherapy to get her started .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2016, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I would say no right or wrong and that your SIL has lost her confidence and needs gentle encouragement.

Maybe with your SIL's permission talk to her GP about some physiotherapy to get her started .

Yup. I'd agree with that Meg.

Sounds like the old gal might have lost her nerve, Deylon.
On the other hand, if she really is in pain, then it needs sorting out.
It could also be that she is depressed and just giving up, but if so, then that needs dealing with too.
What does the carer say in her reports?
What does her GP say about the pain and her lack of mobility?
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 10:27 AM

A hip break is significant and a woman in her eighties isn't just going to start be mobile right off the bat just because it's healed.

Seems to me that patience is in short supply. Mobility has to be regained and it will be a slow process.

Has she got a zimmer frame? Was there any sort of physio in place?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
I just dont know what to think, My only SIL in her 80s , broke her hip earlier this year, now repaired, now says she cannot walk or do anything. she has a carer once a day but says she doesnt want any extra care, she doesnt want to go to day centers ,says she cant walk so cant go. Her family are getting fed up,say she can walk but isnt trying and the son living at home is under strain trying to care for her as he works full time [ the others live away but come back at times to clean the house and do what they can] . I am unable to see her myself ,but speak to her and the family independantly on the phone.There is now measures for her to go to respite care for a month to give them a break,she doesnt want to go
My dilemma is Who to believe ,I am fond of all of them ,who's right /wrong
Being a carer is not an easy task, the person being cared for should realise the carers need a break, from time to time.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 12:37 PM

She should be persuaded to go for respite care.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 01:01 PM

A pack of wild horses wouldn't get my wife or I into respite, ruddy horrible places.
I can understand your SIL's feeling, and as someone as said someone of that age doesn't get over a fractured hip that easy, she needs careful caring people who know about physiotherapy to help her.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
A pack of wild horses wouldn't get my wife or I into respite, ruddy horrible places.
I can understand your SIL's feeling, and as someone as said someone of that age doesn't get over a fractured hip that easy, she needs careful caring people who know about physiotherapy to help her.
But what about the carers needing a break?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
But what about the carers needing a break?
I guess the only way would be to pay professional carers to take over for a while.
Would it be cheaper than respite care? - do you have to pay for respite care?
I don't really know about these things but the carers do need a break and they should get one one way or another!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top