Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 11:58 AM

camera loves dust on sensor

I decided it was about time I checked out my Nikon D800 for dust with the AFs 80-400mm f 4.5-5.6 G ED lens. So first of all formatted the 2 memory cards. Ok ready to start and I find best is to take a photo of the sky as it is a bit grey at the moment. Right picture taken and onto the computer. at setting f4.8 on the camera yes it was there the dreaded dust. So out with the blower artic butterfly and the loupe , after cleaning the sensor or so I thought I would do another check against the sky after formatting the memory cards,yes clean sensor ???? erm no. Now set the camera at f40 not concerned with shutter speed or anything else, and yes dust and small hair showed up. should have used that setting in the first place and saved a lot of time and trouble.

So started the whole proceedure again but also this time gave the lens a good clean as well. camera at f40 lens cleaned and decent bit of sky to shoot at and yippee at last not and dust or hairs in sight.. Without the loupe and artic butterfly let alone the rocket blower ( which i don't really like using)
I doubt if I could have done the job.

Just got to do the same with the D300 nikon now, don't you just love getting dust on a sensor????

Well D300 checked an dust free, that saves a bit of time at least
Last edited: 1 minute ago
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 12:08 PM

Re: camera loves dust on sensor

What no photos of the dust ?
I need evidence !
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 12:09 PM

Don't you risk scratching the sensor with the AB?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 12:36 PM

I know this is silly but could you have 'hoovered' it? I hoover bitty drawers (wooden ones!)
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 12:56 PM

Bitty drawers! The mind boggles!! Digestive biscuit crumbs possibly?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 01:35 PM

Have you been taking mucky pictures then. ?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Don't you risk scratching the sensor with the AB?

To answer your question the best I can let me show you my artic butterfly

No it is not some exotic moth or butterfly but a highly developed very very fine brush made especially for cleaning camera sensors. it can cost anything between £50 t0 £100 depending on model.

So what makes it different? This little gadget apart from having very fine brush hairs also spins at a high speed. By doing this it builds up static electricity.

So when the brush is lightly put across a camera sensor hardly touching, the static buildup attracts the dust onto it.
After each pass the brush is withdrawn and spun for about 5 seconds to get rid of and dust attracted to it and also builds up another static charge for the next sensor pass.

Hope that answers your question Judd

But that is not the end of sensor cleaning one needs to check the sensor to see if it is clean.

I used to photo plain white paper and put it on the computer screen and examine, which does work but as everything is like looking in a mirror, a dust mite on the right is actually on the left and same with up and down, everything is reversed. So that makes it hard to check properly.

The answer is a Loupe

The little instrument is a magnifing glass with led lights which rests on where the lens meets the camera

The loupe

looking at the sensor through the loupe

this would retail at about £80+

Now one can see directly where any dust is located on the sensor and the artic butterfly can be accurately placed on the right area.

To send a camera away for 2/3 weeks for this to be done professionally is quite expensive and after sending away for 3/4 times this bit of kit I have pays for itself.

For stubborn dirt there are pads and cleaning fluids, but that is a different method as is just using a rocket blower which i am not keen on as it can disturb other dust within the camera body

o many people I talk to think there is some magic in cleaning a sensor but there is not, just time and patience and care and the right kit and anyone can do it

----------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I know this is silly but could you have 'hoovered' it? I hoover bitty drawers (wooden ones!)

Not a silly question at all

The inside of a digital camera has small delicate parts so everything has to be treated with care. The vacuum method would mean possible putting a plastic or metal part against or near the sensor.The slightest scratch on the sensor and it is ruined and cost several hundred of pounds to get replaced
So any form of sucking is not the way to go. Yes there are air canistors for sensor cleaning but I think the pressure on the sensor might make it go out of alignment and stir up more dust making the whole job that much harder
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

15-05-2016, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
What no photos of the dust ?
I need evidence !

Here you are Eliza (yes I get them too)

A dust bunny in picture below (top dead centre small curve)

Taken behind the Sphinx in Egypt

Now removed and one would never know a dust bunny existed

Ok so you have a dust spot "called a dust bunny" in you photo and in every other shot taken. Do you scap every photo or not? the answer is no you remove it. How? this is where an editing suite comes in. I prefer Adobe elements is useful, most version have the ability to remove dust bunnies. On could croup it out depending where it is in the photo but much better to remove it entirely

----------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Nom ->
Have you been taking mucky pictures then. ?

Definately not. I don't have the skill or interest in setting up lighting -arranging props etc for that kind of photographic work.

By The time you arrange for a model- get a legal model release form-hire a studio or location with security guards etc etc I am just not interested.

Maybe you are not aware of what is involved in a model shoot let alone the type I think you are suggesting.

Having been invited to a ladies modelling clothes and accessories shoot some years ago, for a well known woman magazine advert, it may amaze you what goes into it.

First is location- next is props and from then on the model-the models agent - hair dresser and agent- makeup artist and their agent- set director- lighting technician- clothes supplier and assistants- catering- toilet facilities is outside shoot and changing room. The list is endless, and that is not only including yourself but possibly a backup second shooter or one on standby if you can't make it.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2016, 06:30 AM

Ye gods man you do go over the top, and yes i have done some model photography. at camera clubs. A local camera repair shop will do a full clean for £10. On the rare occasion that ive had a dust bunny on a photo,, simply cloned out with a free program.

There are many on here who are knowledgeable photographers who not only know the words but are conversant with the music.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

16-05-2016, 08:25 AM

Nom

If asked a question, is it better to give a full answer and explaination or leave the person just as much in the dark as before ?

Ok those into photography already know but there are those that don't.

Your "mucky " question was ambigious to say the least. So trying to understand what you meant required a longer answer than normal.
I would never ever let a stranger dive into my cameras to do any cleaning , you don't know what damage they may do or even if they use your camera for their own purposes before handing it back.

I suppose you don't record a shutter count first and check again afterwards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top