Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2016, 03:34 PM

Birthdays

I am prompted by the thread about wedding presents. Mimi (Veronica`s youngest) will be 15 soon. I seem to remember friends gave you a present on your birthday. Now it appears the parent has to shell out to give the friends a gift.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2016, 03:44 PM

Re: Birthdays

The problem these days is that a lot of kids have everything and it's difficult to buy a present they would like for a reasonable amount. I agree that giving the money is not the same but at least they can put it towards something they really want.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2016, 08:32 AM

When my kids were young I did a birthday party for them , home made food and cakes for about 6 . No gifts were given to others , and my children had one birthday presant from me . We played pass the parcel , tail on the donkey , apple bobbing , simple things .

My grandchildren have parties in large community halls , discos for the whole class sometimes 30 children all bringing presants and receiving presants when they leave .

It's just too much , I help out and watch as grandchildren receive far too many gifts and get overwhelmed with the excitement , but I keep quiet .

One g daughter had her actual birthday at home , neighbours arrived and a party held for about 8 people , yet her big party was held 3 weeks later to invite the whole class !

Presants galore , beautifully wrapped , but opened in a second and discarded as they went onto the next one .

Just too much in my eyes .
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2016, 08:37 AM

That's true Susan, they should be grateful they were ever born
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2016, 08:45 AM

I think we can blame the parents for this, they all appear to want to outdo each other with children's parties .... 'keeping up with the Jones's' comes to mind.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2016, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I think we can blame the parents for this, they all appear to want to outdo each other with children's parties .... 'keeping up with the Jones's' comes to mind.
I would agree with you Mags, but i don't think it is just to keep up with the Jones's. I also believe it is parents wanting to win their child's love, by giving them what they want. The best thing you can ever give you child is your time and, although they may not appreciate it at the time, they will when they look back and realize what that time gave them.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2016, 09:06 AM

The highlights of my childhood parties apart from my presents was the scones, which contained a coin wrapped in greaseproof paper. All got one and it had to be opened before being eaten. A bob, Tanner, Threepenny Bit, no one left without a bit of pocket money.

All food was homemade by my mother, simple pleasures and no one felt deprived because it was not their birthday, it would be their turn soon enough.
Hawkeye
Devon UK
Hawkeye is male  Hawkeye has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2016, 09:11 AM

I agree. My granddaughter was invited to parties held at everything from Ski Slopes to Bowling Alleys where it cost anything from £30.00 per head. Totally ridiculous and as each kid had their birthday you could tell the Parents were trying to outdo each other.
When I was a kid it was a few friends for Jelly and sausage rolls and see who had the worst eating habits!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2016, 09:28 AM

Yes, I agree with this Mags.

In fact I said to a friend of mine a while back about her "keeping up with the Jones's" and her reply was:

"My dear, we don't have to keep up with the Jones's - we ARE the Jones's, others have to keep up with US!"

That put me in my place.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2016, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I agree with this Mags.

In fact I said to a friend of mine a while back about her "keeping up with the Jones's" and her reply was:

"My dear, we don't have to keep up with the Jones's - we ARE the Jones's, others have to keep up with US!"

That put me in my place.
That made me laugh Mups

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top