Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 08:13 PM

Reduced Food

Do you buy supermarket food from their bargain counters ? A woman on tele says she saves pounds by buying these reduced items,but I noticed a lot of the items were fresh foods i.e fruit/ veg. bread/rolls which must be at the end of use by date,which means she has to use them quickly.She says she phones the supermarkets to ask what time they reduce their goods, then goes to the store then
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 08:14 PM

Re: Reduced Food

No I tend not to unless I know I will use the product that same day, which isn't often. As you say, the stuff is at the edge of its shelf life generally.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 08:15 PM

Bread can be frozen on the last date , and come out same as it went in .we some times get Crumpets , baps and the like cheap .
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 08:49 PM

It's okay to buy reduced items as long as they're eaten and not just bought because they're a bargain.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 08:57 PM

I never buy beef or lamb unless it is on the cheap shelf and going nice and brown.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2016, 07:56 AM

Yes i do as i often shop on a daily basis and i have to watch the pennies. Was the time i got these areas pretty much too myself,but these days you have to form a queue. Also the supermarkets also have promotions that are good offers and can change.
Hawkeye
Devon UK
Hawkeye is male  Hawkeye has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2016, 08:52 AM

I often buy the reduced stuff, those big spring onions are always reduced at Morrison's and they last at least another week after the sell by date.
If there was no such things as Supermarkets you would have to use your Nose and Fingers not read sell by/use by dates.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2016, 09:36 AM

No I wouldn't buy 'reduced food ' at the end of its life.
If I am spending ages cooking something I want to use the best and freshest ingredients even if I am only making soup.

The moment vegetables are picked they start to deteriorate and sugars are formed altering their taste. I would not want to use them.

Cheap bread, best to make your own and freeze it then it is always cheap and fresh.
Anna B
Norfolk
Anna B is female  Anna B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2016, 11:39 AM

I avoid the reduced stuff like the plague. Regarding the comment on soup I feel the same way, only the freshest and best I can get goes into mine. Some time ago (not in here) I was reading posts of a woman who said she makes 'fridge bottom' soup .. meaning she'd use up any manky veg left in bottom of her fridge every so often.
I can't see the point cos you (one) only get out what you put in.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2016, 11:52 AM

No "reduced" food for me - a couple of "disappointments" cured me of that shopping choice .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top