Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 06:23 PM

We will remember them.

At 8pm (cet) this country will fall almost entirely silent. Outside every public building and many private homes the flag hangs at half-mast from 6pm until sundown.

By law shops bars and places of entertainment are closed at 7pm and between 7,45 and 8,15 no church bell will ring..
People will observe a two minute silence,at 8pm first taptoe will be played at 7,59 and then a hush will fall over the land. No music will be played on radio stations. no busses or trains will run, no plane will take off from the airport, motorists who are still out are asked to pull over if safe to do so and observe the silence.

It is a hush that is humbling in its magnitude as you are suddenly aware of how quiet the world can be without the background noise that humans create.

At 8,02 the national anthem will ring out and wreaths will be laid to honour and show our gratitude and respect those who were killed during the second world war and other conflicts since.

I am a pacifist at heart although I accept that sometimes conflict is unavoidable. I am not a flag waver or a nationalist but OH and I have always observed the two minute silence. In November we repeat that as we observe the silence during the ceremony at the cenotaph

We will remember them.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	flag.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	931  
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 06:46 PM

Re: We will remember them.

I'm afraid I don't know which country you're talking about as your location appears to be 'at home'.

Looking at the flags, I'd hazard a guess that it's the Netherlands.

Are you ashamed enough that you don't want to state that in your posts?
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 07:42 PM

I too wondered what Country you are in ,also Im puzzled why you have this remembrance of ww2, the only time I know of remembrance is the one in November,Is there a special reason your Country remembers now ?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 08:38 PM

Aren't those flags the Tri colour of France?
If it's remembrance day which falls on the 11th day of the eleventh month at eleven O clock, I'm afraid very little stops in this fast moving world of ours. But we still remember the fallen.
I can't figure out what happens at 8:00 p.m though.....
And 'CET' ? Central European Time perhaps?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 09:18 PM

As Manuel in 'Fawlty Towers' would say.... Que?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 09:19 PM

All is explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libera...y_(Netherlands)
For those who do like following links:
After the liberation in 1945, Liberation Day was commemorated every five years. Finally, in 1990, the day was declared to be a national holiday, when the liberation would be commemorated and celebrated every year.
On 4 May, the Dutch hold "Dodenherdenking," Remembrance of the Dead for the people who fought and died during World War II and in wars in general. There are remembrance gatherings all over cities and in the country, the better-known at the National Monument on Dam Square in Amsterdam and at the Waalsdorpervlakte in the dunes near The Hague, one of the infamous Nazi execution places. Throughout the country, two minutes of silence are observed at 8 p.m. On May 5, the liberation is celebrated and festivals are held at most places in the Netherlands, with parades of veterans and 14 musical festivals through the whole country.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 09:25 PM

Hi

It is the Netherlands, their Remembrance Day is May 4th and Liberation Day, from Nazi Germany, is May 5th.

They take Rememberance Day very seriously, something that we could learn from them.

I love the Netherlands and the Dutch People, my favourite European Country.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 11:24 PM

One of my favourite countries too.

The Netherlands is renowned for its historic organs, and the Haarlem Grote Kerk stands out as one of the highest regarded in the world!
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 10:38 AM

In the early 1970s I had to make frequent business trips to the Netherlands. The War was still very much in people’s minds. I was told that the most important question that employers asked at interviews was what did the applicants do during the Occupation (that is which side were they on?) By contrast that question was not asked in Belgium.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is the Netherlands, their Remembrance Day is May 4th and Liberation Day, from Nazi Germany, is May 5th.

They take Rememberance Day very seriously, something that we could learn from them.

I love the Netherlands and the Dutch People, my favourite European Country.

A somewhat prosaic choice of dates for a remembrance anniversary. - "May the 4th be with you!!!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top