Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2010, 12:50 PM

Anyone had or know anyone who's had a heart by-pass?

My dad needs one, but he hates the thought of having one done as a friend had one and went downhill after that.

Anyone got any experience of them? Would appreciate any insight.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2010, 02:14 PM

Re: Anyone had or know anyone who's had a heart by-pass?

My Brother in law had one 9 years ago after having two attacks he is now as fit as a fiddle and is glad he had the op.
dereklcg
New Member!
redditch uk
dereklcg is male 

12-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
My dad needs one, but he hates the thought of having one done as a friend had one and went downhill after that.

Anyone got any experience of them? Would appreciate any insight.
i had a heart by-pass in 2001,
i wen,t into the priory in edgebaston silver service,
it was the first time i had been into hospital
they put you at ease and did a proper job.
to be fair you don,t feel a thing,bit sore after but
you soon sleep that off..best wishes dereklcg:
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2010, 05:31 PM

One of my best mates had it done more than 20 years ago and he never looked back, he's a fit as a fiddle at 70!. I hear it's a routine job now.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2010, 09:46 PM

Two friends have had it; one who was only in his 50s but had a history of heart problems, had a double bypass; has been fine ever since and he's in his early 70s now. Another had a triple when he was in his 80s and is excellent, he's in his early 90s. They are left with a nasty scar and recovery takes a while, but hey, they are alive and well because of it! I would have one if necessary.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 12:57 PM

Thanks All - I'll print out your replies and take them to my dad when I go see him later.

The docs says one of his arteries is practically all blocked up, and the other two are severe. But my dad isn't keen on the idea of a major op - but hopefully we can talk him round.

Thanks again for your replies.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 04:42 PM

I hope it will encourage your Dad to do it, Azz. Keep after him, you want him around for a long time.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 07:30 PM

Very best wishes to your Dad, Azz - a heart operation is frightening for anyone, that's quite understandable. My neighbour said she had to be positive and convince herself that she would have a better life with the op than without it ..... that gave her the strength to face it. She said when she woke up after, she couldn't believe that it was all over She had a few weeks of soreness, plenty of rest and said she felt like a new woman after.
Tinkerbell
New Member!
West Midlands UK.
Tinkerbell is female 

13-07-2010, 07:36 PM

Hello Azz

My friend's husband had a triple by pass. Diabetes had caused damage to his arteries but he was very wary of having such a major op. They treated him wonderfully, explaining the procedure and laughing at the fact that it's called a CABG. He had it done and, yes, it is a big scar but such a small price to pay for the benefits he reaped. He was fantastic afterwards and it gave him a new lease of life.
I hope your dad decides to go for it. It'll make such a difference to him.

xx
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 09:41 PM

My friends Dad had a bypass few years ago-he took some persuading but now says its been one of the best decisions he's ever made-lives life to the full now. Best Wishes to your Dad, Azz.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top