Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 09:41 PM

Wine Horse running, Caravaca de la Cruz

Today Iīve been in Caravaca for the fiesta of the running of the wine horses. It only happens one day a year, 2nd of May, and itīs the most crazy, noisy, colourful and often dangerous day you can imagine. It was also a very hot day. There were 62 horses competing this year. A few photos here, I hope you enjoy them.

One of the many bands which accompany each peņa (supporters of each horse)

Another band

The main street in Caravaca

Procession of the big heads, Iīm not really sure why they are called that or what they are supposed to signify, but I suspect itīs something political.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 09:48 PM

Re: Wine Horse running, Caravaca de la Cruz

What an amazing event Loretta!

The 'costumes' of the horses are beautiful, very clever whoever made them. I'm not sure I could handle the crowd in the main street, they look like sardines!

Glad you had a good day there .... and thanks for sharing your photos with us.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
What an amazing event Loretta!

The 'costumes' of the horses are beautiful, very clever whoever made them. I'm not sure I could handle the crowd in the main street, they look like sardines!

Glad you had a good day there .... and thanks for sharing your photos with us.
Thank you Mags. The "mantles" that the horses wear are priceless, well the greater majority of them. They are made by the families of the horse owners and are passed down through the generations. All are hand embroidered, much gold and silver thread used and photos of the family also embroidered into the mantles. Each year a new piece of embroidery is added. The rest of the year the mantles are on display in the wine horse museum. People come from all over Spain to this fiesta, you canīt imagine the number of coaches there are. Also many people from other countries.
Caravaca is one of 5 (I think) holy places in the Christian world.

I had a lovely day, thanks, it was my 5th visit to this event. Itīs certainly not for the faint hearted
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 11:53 PM

Gosh! Clumsy. Those horses are good to wear all that regalia. Most would have a fit if that lot was put on & about them. Do they get judged & prizes awarded?
Super photo's.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

03-05-2016, 09:08 AM

Thank you Tiffany. Yes the horses do get judged and prizes are awarded. The actual race takes place at the castle. Itīs a race against the clock from the bottom of the short hill at the castle gate to the top. The horses are not ridden, there is a man both sides of the horse, short ropes are attached to the bridle and the men have to run with the horse, if one lets go of the rope the horse is disqualified. The fastest we saw yesterday was 7.74 seconds. We watched on the big screens which are everywhere in the town on this day, also in every bar and restaurant. Only once did we stand at the side of the castle road, never again would I do that, itīs virtual suicide ! It really is a very unique event. I imagine the horses are trained from a very early age to wear the regalia and to cope with the noise and crowds, the like of which you would not believe.

A short video clip from last year, you can see how short the run up actually is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3WfDNi8xIs

This one gives you a better idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOEbvn-fqFc
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 10:35 AM

I liked the links. Some horses didn't seem to like their fancy dress. That crowd were very close to those horses, it must be great fun to watch.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

03-05-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I liked the links. Some horses didn't seem to like their fancy dress. That crowd were very close to those horses, it must be great fun to watch.
Indeed Tiffany, itīs a fantastic day out, but I think you can see by watching the second video why I would never stand to watch anywhere near the castle road ever again
braveheart
Edinburgh
braveheart is male  braveheart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 11:28 AM

Thank you for sharing.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

03-05-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Indeed Tiffany, itīs a fantastic day out, but I think you can see by watching the second video why I would never stand to watch anywhere near the castle road ever again
I can agree to that & they all seem to be men really close to those horses anyway. I did like the grey Andalusian the girl was riding.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 04:00 PM

Lovely colourful site. I would love to be right in the middle of it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top