Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 10:26 PM

Hillsborough

I don't know if there is any other thread somewhere on the Hillsborough disaster .
27 years after the the day .
The Jury has decided today that all 96 fans who died that day were unlawfully killed.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 10:31 PM

Re: Hillsborough

Does this mean the disaster was avoidable?
Who is being accused of the killing and will they be prosecuted?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 10:41 PM

It depends on the CPS but the famillies of those who died are determined to get justice for their loved ones.
There were many mistakes made by the police that day .
And worse witnesses statements were falsified .
Blame was put on the victims .
The disaster was avoidable
The police opened the tunnel that let in hundreds of fans which crushed the ones already inside the stadium at the front against the fence that surrounded the ground .
The fence had a gate but it was locked .
Now this opens the door to charges of manslaughter .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 10:55 PM

I am glad that the true facts of what happened on that day have finally been established and although it would have been better if 96 people had not lost their lives I believe something useful has emerged from the incident. It appears that South Yorkshire police were well out of their depth concerning crowd control, and mistakes were made, but every stadium in Britain (and possibly the world) have been redesigned to prevent this ever happening again.

I did, however think that the singing and celebrations by the successful complainants was disgraceful. Many young lives were lost on that fateful day and whoever the blame rest with will not bring them back, there are no winners..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It depends on the CPS but the famillies of those who died are determined to get justice for their loved ones.
There were many mistakes made by the police that day .
And worse witnesses statements were falsified .
Blame was put on the victims .
The disaster was avoidable
The police opened the tunnel that let in hundreds of fans which crushed the ones already inside the stadium at the front against the fence that surrounded the ground .
The fence had a gate but it was locked .
Now this opens the door to charges of manslaughter .
I disagree, it was a disaster waiting to happen. Nobody did it on purpose, the police did not have a clue how to control a crowd and there will have been many policemen that this will have affected for the rest of their lives - they are only human and were accepting orders from someone who they thought knew what they were doing.
The deliberate falsifying of evidence and statements is unforgivable though, especially from people who are expected to be above corruption.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I disagree, it was a disaster waiting to happen. Nobody did it on purpose, the police did not have a clue how to control a crowd and there will have been many policemen that this will have affected for the rest of their lives - they are only human and were accepting orders from someone who they thought knew what they were doing.
The deliberate falsifying of evidence and statements is unforgivable though, especially from people who are expected to be above corruption.
I agree with you, and I think a verdict of unlawful killing is inappropriate and will only open the floodgates for 96 litigation cases looking for compensation as they now have someone to blame. While I feel sympathy for the families of those who died, the football fans who rushed in through that tunnel are not entriely blameless.
Enya
Suffolk
Enya is female  Enya has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 07:29 AM

Sorry orangutan, totally disagree with you, and find your post distasteful
Nobody expects members of their families to go to a football match and not return home. I feel total sympathy for the families of those who died, husbands, brothers, sisters, mums, aunts, uncles, sons and daughters.
If it wasn't for the disgraceful/corrupt way the truth was covered up, this would have been dealt with years ago, NOT 27 YEARS LATER.
open the flood gates and bring on the litigations, for the 96 victims, (that seems ironic.)
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Enya ->
Sorry orangutan, totally disagree with you, and find your post distasteful
Nobody expects members of their families to go to a football match and not return home. I feel total sympathy for the families of those who died, husbands, brothers, sisters, mums, aunts, uncles, sons and daughters.
If it wasn't for the disgraceful/corrupt way the truth was covered up, this would have been dealt with years ago, NOT 27 YEARS LATER.
open the flood gates and bring on the litigations, for the 96 victims, (that seems ironic.)
I agree factor in the cover up, the millions of taxpayers money wasted it seems criminal that nothing has been done sooner. Justice needs to be done.
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 08:39 AM

I used to think, why cant these people move on, year after year.
But now I can understand why, I'm so pleased the truth has finally come out,all those falsified/altered statements, corrupt police hiding behind each other.and even worse one Police department protecting another.
its disgraceful . when I watched it all last night the programme "In the line of Duty" came to mind!
they have the truth and now justice must be done, another endless year, wonder how many police will retire/resign with their fat pensions before the year is up?
P.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I agree with you, and I think a verdict of unlawful killing is inappropriate and will only open the floodgates for 96 litigation cases looking for compensation as they now have someone to blame. While I feel sympathy for the families of those who died, the football fans who rushed in through that tunnel are not entriely blameless.
I also agree. Whilst this was a tragic disaster, we and the jury are judging it with the hindsight of todays health and safety laws, which are far more stringent.

There were mistakes made by all the relevant authorities but I don't think any of them were intentional but down to carelessness. The cover up which came after was a different affair though, even so it is easy to see why people lied.

Like OGF I found the singing and celebration inappropriate if not distasteful. Lets hope this does not become a witch hunt and that the calls for justice are not calls for revenge.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top