Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 02:53 AM

Return to my roots. Pic heavy.

Had a couple of visits back to my birthplace recently, moved away in 1970. It was founded in 674 AD when Wilfrid founded a monastery, the current Abbey dates largely from the 11 century. It was voted England's favorite market town by Country Life. Having said all that i could not wait to get away from it to the bright lights and the big city.

The Abbey is largely built from stones robbed from the nearby Hadrian's wall.

My first job on my own was installing floodlighting around the Abbey and on the roof.

Parking space for poinkers.

Humble beginnings,

Farmers market, (very expensive) with the Moot hall in the background.

The building in the foreground is know as the Shambles, built in 1766.

Hexham Old Gaol,is reputed to be the oldest purpose built prison in England 1330-1333. Built to house the likes of the border reivers, in the 60`s i helped convert it into a museum.

My junior school on the left.

Few photos from the Spring Fayre, lots of music and dancing.

Sadly for me the character of the town has been destroyed as its now full of shops you find on any high street, and the town itself has been taken over by commuter types from nearby Newcastle.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 05:40 AM

Re: Return to my roots. Pic heavy.

Great pics as ever Nom, it's a place that I've never been to.
Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 06:20 AM

Loved seeing your photos - i have never been there either
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 06:39 AM

It looks lovely to me, very interesting place, I wouldn't mind visiting there.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 06:57 AM

Lovely photos Nom! Is no 5 the house where you were born? Does it have a plaque?
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 07:21 AM

thanks nom,great pics
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 08:03 AM

Great Pic's Nom,I remember reading a few of Catherine Cooksons books where Hexham Market was mentioned.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 08:09 AM

Great pictures Nom . I've been to Hexham .... Lovely
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 08:12 AM

Thanks folks, May your fellow Scotsman were regular visitors down here, the Abbey was sacked on several occasions, Hexham was the capital of the Middle March,one of the three main routes armies took to invade England / Scotland, there is much history from both sides of the border. My wife loved all the Catherine Cookson books.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Thanks folks, May your fellow Scotsman were regular visitors down here, the Abbey was sacked on several occasions, Hexham was the capital of the Middle March,one of the three main routes armies took to invade England / Scotland, there is much history from both sides of the border. My wife loved all the Catherine Cookson books.
Aye lots of History..I haven't visited Hexham but My younger Brother lives in Morpeth with His Family,said it was called 'Murder Path' or something like that in the past?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top