Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 01:24 PM

London Marathon.

Hi

Anyone else find this inspirational?

I was working last night, but could not get to sleep this morning.

Far too much hassle last night, some real nasty people, weighing on my mind.

I starting watching the Marathon and was captivated.

So many people doing so much for others.

In my job it is only too easy to be totally cynical, dealing with the very worst does get to you.

It is only too easy to forget that the vast majority here in the UK are actually quite nice, caring, gentle people.

I find it fantastic, it has restored my faith in people.

I have no chance at all of running a Marathon, my old injuries preclude that, but I found it great that a 72 year old Grandmother was running to raise money for her Grandkids.

It has given me the ability to restore my faith in people.

In spite of all the doom and gloom, there is much to be proud about the UK.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 01:52 PM

Re: London Marathon.

I agree - I was watching it earlier, hoping to catch a glimpse of a close friend who is running for his charity. I would love to take part, but the abuse of my knees over years of high impact sport has made it unlikely to say the least.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 01:52 PM

It is so nice to see people out there not expecting any reward for themselves but just taking great joy in raising money for causes close to their hearts..
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 01:54 PM

It does indeed restore your faith in human kind. I veer more toward people who do charity work. Am an avid support of a cancer charity.

There are nasty people out there but luckily good souls as well
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 02:03 PM

The two most inspirational(amongst very many)was seeing Michael Watson complete the marathon taking 6 days and Maj Phil Packer, told he'd never walk again, did it taking two gruelling weeks.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 02:04 PM

I admire every one who took part in this morning's Marathon, many of them pushing themselves through the pain barrier to raise money for their chosen charities.

They should all feel extremely proud of themselves.
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 02:09 PM

Love watching the London Marathon.One of my friend's son is running-but haven't caught sight of him yet.It is really inspiring to hear some of the stories of the "fun" runners.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 02:11 PM

I'm tracking a friend on the Virgin website who I've sponsored - she's doing it for the Poppy Appeal and she's just gone passed the 30kM marker.

Well done T, keep up the good work.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 02:15 PM

I say this every year but, it's a shame that the London Marathon has become so commercial and the focus is four or five runners at the front. I witnessed the very first marathon and it was more like a fun run than a sporting event.

Originally the route took them right past my flat on the Isle of Dogs and the whole route was lined with 'islanders' cheering them on. After a few years they changed the route to take in Canary wharf so it could be shown off to the rest of the World.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 05:06 PM

I feel sorry for the ones who try their hardest to raise money for charity and other good causes but drop dead during the race. Awful....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top