Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 08:43 AM

The Labour MP and The NUM Benevolent fund Mortgage

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Here's an example - I previously posted this at the beginning of this thread. Not an isolated one either, a good many of the 'nasty party' think the same. Despicable oiks!!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6979826.html
Hi

Some people do think that they are better than others and that normal rules do not apply to them.

What particularly annoys me is that some who should know better and who constantly criticise the bosses and the rich are not adverse themselves to a bit of special treatment.

Particularly when they are left wing MP's and ex Union officials.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36046675

Not exactly setting an example, but plenty of precedent, Scargill for example.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 09:05 AM

Re: The Labour MP and The NUM Benevolent fund Mortgage

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Some people do think that they are better than others and that normal rules do not apply to them.

What particularly annoys me is that some who should know better and who constantly criticise the bosses and the rich are not adverse themselves to a bit of special treatment.

Particularly when they are left wing MP's and ex Union officials.

Not exactly setting an example, but plenty of precedent, Scargill for example.

Yes I saw that story too, but what we don't know is whether he disclosed that income when he became an MP, if he didn't then yes I would condemn him for that failure to do so.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes I saw that story too, but what we don't know is whether he disclosed that income when he became an MP, if he didn't then yes I would condemn him for that failure to do so.
Hi

That is not my primary issue UJ.

The killer for me is this.

Newsnight has established that Mr Lavery received a £72,500 mortgage in 1994 from the union's benevolent fund repayable at less than half the market interest rate.

That is just so wrong.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 10:46 AM

Labour's trade union spokesman Ian Lavery has denied any wrongdoing after BBC Newsnight learned he received a heavily subsidised mortgage.
The mortgage was from the benevolent fund of the National Union of Mineworkers in Northumberland.
Mr Lavery was the general secretary of that union from 1992 to 2010, and also faces questions about redundancy money he received when he left.

He says the mortgage was a "private" matter and denies any impropriety.
In total Ian Lavery faces questions about £250,000 of payments the union's books suggest he received from the NUM, Northumberland Area during his period there.
Newsnight has established that Mr Lavery received a £72,500 mortgage in 1994 from the union's benevolent fund repayable at less than half the market interest rate.
On Tuesday, he refused to comment on whether the outstanding mortgage had subsequently been written off by the union. "The union and myself came to a financial agreement in 2007 with regards to the mortgage which will remain private between myself and the union."

Mr Lavery stepped down as general secretary of the Northumberland Area in 2010, taking over from Denis Murphy as MP for Wansbeck. Mr Murphy took over the running of the union which now has just six members.
During Mr Lavery's tenure as general secretary, more than half of the union's £2.5m income came from sick former miners who the Union helped with compensation claims and who donated a portion of their payments to the union.
Mr Lavery has already faced questions from the Sunday Times about what appear to be more than £140,000 of redundancy payments to him, as well as about why he received a mortgage from union funds.

He has been referred to the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner by a Tory MP for alleged impropriety over his redundancy.
Newsnight has established that the "sweetheart" interest rate on the mortgage provided by the union's Provident and Benevolent fund - just 3% compared to market rates of around 8% - would have saved Mr Lavery thousands of pounds in interest payments over the life of the mortgage.
However, Newsnight has also identified a sum of £109,911 written off in the union's books in 2007. This is almost exactly the figure Mr Lavery would have owed on the £72,500 mortgage if he had made no, or very low, payments over the 13-year period.
We have had lots of thread on here lately about 'rich tax dodgers', if the above details prove to be true (and I watched Ian Lavery on Newsnight last night avoiding the question of exactly who paid off his mortgage) to me is comparable with any tax dodgers.

I was under the impression the Mineworkers Benevolent fund was intended to help miners and their widows not to feather the nest of Union Officials.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 10:47 AM

Yes very bad immoral if it's not illegal.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 10:50 AM

Very true Meg, I think there should be some independent body to oversee all of the dealings of MP's and anyone connected to Government.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 10:51 AM

All corrupt officials of all parties should be prosecuted and their ill gotten gains refunded.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 11:14 AM

It's getting more and more like a corrupt African nation.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
It's getting more and more like a corrupt African nation.
It's not just about corruption Alan, for me it is also about principles. If I was a Union Official I wouldn't touch a penny of money from the Miners Benevolent fund for a mortgage even if it was offered to me.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It's not just about corruption Alan, for me it is also about principles. If I was a Union Official I wouldn't touch a penny of money from the Miners Benevolent fund for a mortgage even if it was offered to me.
Arthur Scargill had more than his share of money out of the NUM. I wonder how many more are at it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top