Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 11:35 AM

My new bed and storage unit...

Will be costing me a fortune! I've just popped home to transfer funds so I can pay a hefty deposit. You might all think I'm mad, but...breakdown

Bed base £295
Assemble costs £40
Mattress £600. (And he knocked £200 off the normal price.)
But supposedly a good one. I tried it out. 3000 pockets, I think he said.

Overbed unit £550
Assemble costs £100

In all, I make that £1,585.

The bed and mattress will be in stock in about a week, but the unit will take 8-10 weeks, coming from Germany.

I always knew the bed and unit would be a lot as I'd checked out prices last year sometime. But hadn't thought of the mattress as being quite so high. However, as I've always gone for cheap options, maybe it's time I spent more?

With the carpet, expenditure so far...a huge eeeeeekkkk, about £2,100. And that's without paint and storage costs. Still, just think of the end result, eh?

So no holidays for me this year, I reckon,

Has anyone else spent this much on theirs?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 11:40 AM

Re: My new bed and storage unit...

OH made our bed frame years ago..Id said I wanted a four poster so me made one in his spare time but I did invest in a very good mattress.

A good mattrass is the key to a good nights sleep and I dont regret a penny of the money I spent on ours...
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Will be costing me a fortune! I've just popped home to transfer funds so I can pay a hefty deposit. You might all think I'm mad, but...breakdown

Bed base £295
Assemble costs £40
Mattress £600. (And he knocked £200 off the normal price.)
But supposedly a good one. I tried it out. 3000 pockets, I think he said.

Overbed unit £550
Assemble costs £100

In all, I make that £1,585.

The bed and mattress will be in stock in about a week, but the unit will take 8-10 weeks, coming from Germany.

I always knew the bed and unit would be a lot as I'd checked out prices last year sometime. But hadn't thought of the mattress as being quite so high. However, as I've always gone for cheap options, maybe it's time I spent more?

With the carpet, expenditure so far...a huge eeeeeekkkk, about £2,100. And that's without paint and storage costs. Still, just think of the end result, eh?

So no holidays for me this year, I reckon,

Has anyone else spent this much on theirs?
You get what you pay for in this life Jazzi.
So long as one can afford the best, then in the long run that is the way to go.
And as one spends around of one third of life in bed, then that is money well spent.

Is that a memory foam mattress you are buying there Jazzi?
We have one, and they are SO comfortable.

Regarding your cash.
You can't take it with you, so spend spend spend!

I am a SKIN.
Spending Kids Inheritance NOW
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 11:58 AM

No BC, not a memory foam, though I did give one a try.

I'm an SSI...spending siblings' inheritance!

Yes, you're absolutely right. You can't take it with you, and the whole room is well WELL overdue an overhaul.

He asked if I had a budget. I said no, not really. I have the money. (No point in hanging on to it when this is a necessity.)
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 12:10 PM

I was thinking I needed my bumps feeling a good few years ago when I went on a blanket trip whilst on holiday in Spain and spent £650 on a full set of merino wool bedding (under blanket, over blanket and pillowcases). However I've no regrets, its still in use and very cosy, so money well spent.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->

I'm an SSI...spending siblings' inheritance!
Good for you Jazzi - it will last you for a lot longer than cheap stuff.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 12:53 PM

Cheap base here with cheap mattress but a very deep memory foam topper, which seems to work best for me raising the bed to a better height to get up from, all the furniture is donkeys old second hand but proper wood so should hopefully see me out.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 01:12 PM

Ignoring the units and bed frame I think you're paying a decent price for a mattress. It is total kidology to buy a cheap mattress because within a few months it will likely have sagged permanently where the main part of your body is positioned during sleep and at that point you've lost most of the comfortable support.

I bought a UK made mattress for £550 ish with 2000 pocket springs (for a very firm feel) and which had 4 layers of upholstery from the springs up. The top layer was 300gsm wool blended with silk.

Crucially the mattress is completely 2-sided so you can routinely flip it over and flip it head-to-foot to ensure an even wearing.

Even more crucially though, for a mattress of this cost level, I also bought a latex topper of about 5" thickness to go on top of the mattress. The combination is super comfy and it will mean that the mattress below remains in great condition for many many years to come without any sagging or indentations.

If you are spending £600 on a good mattress Jazz then you really should invest in a topper for it. It will cost you another £200-£300 depending on your choice but it's a no brainer for preserving the quality mattress. Some years in the future you can then just swap that topper out and spend another £200-£300 but the mattress below will still be like new.

Anyway, good luck with the whole thing. Remember you should have a week or 2 of slight aches and pains as you get used to the new mattress.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

11-04-2016, 01:22 PM

Val, I remember when Mum and I went to such a demo, may have been in Cyprus, or Fuerteventura, where the man had placed cutlery under the blanket, and the tester claimed they couldn't feel the items. Is that what you bought?

Realist, I used to have a feather topper on the present bed, but over the years the feathers all migrated to the sides, and couldn't be moved back again. As I was then lying on a thin layer of nothing I had to chuck it. Might get one for the new bed.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

11-04-2016, 01:27 PM

I've also been on the phone and reserved the temporary storage unit, with effect from Thursday. Tomorrow I'll go and pay the first invoice and buy half a dozen boxes.

I have a committee meeting Wednesday evening and need time to collect the last of the banking, pay it in, then update my Treasurer's Report to send round. After that I'll concentrate on the room.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top