Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
oxymoron47
Australia
oxymoron47 is male  oxymoron47 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 01:33 AM

Do the pros of being overweight outweigh the cons?

Obviously, a very contentious question. I'm not sure why it's contentious, it just seemed like a good thing to write.

I'm overweight. There, I said it! I really don't think it's a bad thing for me although some of my family members disagree.

Here are some of the pros.
There are no wrinkles on a balloon, so I'm often told that I look more than a decade younger than my 68 years.
I don't have to avoid delicious food to try and keep a svelte figure.
The same goes for booze. I can drink copious quantities of good booze without getting fall down drunk. I'm told this due to my bulk. Sadly, the traffic police don't buy this.

Now for some of the cons.
I haven't seen my feet or my "old fella" for years. I know they are still there, because I can feel them in the shower. See how I kept that sentence clean? In two ways.
I have an increased risk of a heart attack. My, now deceased doctor told me that. I actually had my heart attack 13 years ago, when I was slim.
Women won't find me attractive. I couldn't care less! At least my very lovely wife still adores me (she says).

Over to you.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 05:17 AM

Re: Do the pros of being overweight outweigh the cons?

I also am overweight but only a little bit. I get out of puff when walking uphill but that might have more to do with my age than my weight. It really is something I'm not too concerned about so long as I don't become obese.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 06:57 AM

I always think it ain't about weight gain per se, it's about where it settles. IE, if you put on say three stones, and 20% of that weight gain goes to your legs, 20% to your arms, and 60% to your trunk, you will probably be Ok, but if 95% of the gain goes to your gut and 5% to your chin, you will probably be in the shit, I also think, added weight = added cells, and cells is where nasty stuff resides, so to a point, the less you've got, the less hiding places.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 07:33 AM

I believe that it's the visceral fat ( the fat inside you around your organs ) that kills you .
However it puts a massive strain on the heart dragging all that extra weight about also the joints .
Still it's everyone's choice how to live their lives .
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 08:03 AM

I think you know the answer to your question don't you OM?

If you're grossly overweight it shows a lack of self control. You would probably be healthier and live longer if you were a 'normal' weight.
You say your wife adores you as you are. That doesn't give you any encouragement to slim down then does it? ... Is she overweight too?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 08:10 AM

I think it's inevitable We will put on weight around Our middles as We age,I know I have and am doing something about it now..,not because of how I look,but I have ostio arthritis in My spine,/knees/,ankles,so more weight = more pain..a no brainer, but I'm def' not obese and never will be.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 08:30 AM

Hi

Some very valid points made,

I have a damaged leg, extra weight hinders my mobility, so a definite no to extra weight for me.

Extra weight also puts extra strain on our joints which naturally deteriorate as we get older which again hinders mobility.

I would hate not to be mobile.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 09:55 AM

Good question Oxy, If you are happy with your body and can perform all of the things that you expect of it I can't see any thing wrong. Personally, I like to walk and run and being overweight would limit my enjoyment. However, having been a runner most of my adult life, never going over eleven stone and considering how fit I am, it was such a surprise (and shock) to have had two heart attacks. Granted, I survived and continue to run (albeit not so enthusiastically) It makes me wonder if being overweight isn't as bad as the media makes out.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 10:11 AM

When I had breast cancer it was my weight saved me because if I had been smaller apparently the tumour would have been less easy to notice and they could give me a larger dose of the chemo they said. I saw several thin people die who had very similar sized tumours as I had.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 10:14 AM

I have known young, thin, fit people that have died at a young age. It depends what you want from life? Do you want to eat, drink and be happy and take the chance? Or, be thin, dried up looking and eat what the 'experts' tell you to eat, which is usually not as nice to you.

Many years ago, l wasn't fat but l wanted to lose a few pounds and the doctor arranged for me to visit the surgery nurse who gave me a diet sheet and l went in to be weighed every fortnight. The nurse who was also a friend really lectured me about the food l was eating and said l shouldn't eat so much bread. She told me about what she ate and the exercise she did and had lost lots of weight.
As l stood in the congregation at her funeral, l thought, how ironic for all her healthy eating and exercise she had died and was only in her early sixties.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top