Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 05:49 PM

Pretend Accident

Beware of yet another scam.

Just read a warning locally that a bloke on a bicycle crashed into a woman's car in a car park in Bedford. He fell on the floor and said his neck hurt.
The poor woman knew she hadn't done anything at all, but within minutes several of his mates, all Irish it seems, surrounded her as "witnesses."

Someone called the police and they let the woman go, but isn't it dreadful. Keep a sharp lookout for this one now.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 05:52 PM

Re: Pretend Accident

It's just another unlawful way that travellers use to extract money from insurance companies.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 06:16 PM

It's not just travellers Mups. 4 years ago I ran into the side if a car at the T junction at the bottom of our street being unsighted by parked vehicles. The man and woman in the car got out and were perfectly OK. Later on I found out that they had claimed for whiplash injuries and got a tidy sum from my insurers.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 06:46 PM

This is a very old scam TBH.

In the US there are people who wait by the side of the road near driveways etc and who will jump out in front of a car giving it no time at all to stop. They do this in places where cars are travelling relatively slowly. They have perfected the art of rolling onto the car bonnet and falling into the road after which they will claim for the accident.

Some of these people are supremely dumb and desperate and there was a TV programme recently showing footage from cars that had dash-cams. Their attempts didn't look realistic at all, but in the absence of those cameras many of them would likely succeed in their claims.

Moral of the story is get a dash cam asap imo.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 07:19 PM

Razor sharp bull bars would stop that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Moral of the story is get a dash cam asap imo.
Excellent advice.

£150 (for a Which? Best Buy) could save you a damned sight more than that if the worst came to the worst.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 10:30 PM

Many years ago OH was coming home and was stationary at a junction when a motorcyclist came up alongside of him bumped the van then let the motorbike fall.

He claimed OH had cut him off at the junction.. The bike went off to the shop with a few minor bumps and a broken mirror.. So when OH got a call from the insurers saying he had caused more than £1,000 worth of damage he began to smell a rat.

So my FIL went to the motor shop and pretended to be the father of the lad involved in the bump.. Turned out he had asked the shop to carry out all kinds of repairs and replace his tyres and exhaust and told them to add it to the estimate..
FIL asked for a copy just so that 'his son' would know what had been done..

OH sent the estimate and information to the insurers and suddenly the claim was dropped!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Razor sharp bull bars would stop that.
Could I get some for my Nissan Micra?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 12:12 AM

I don't think you need a razor sharp bullbar. Mine is fairly efficient at carving a path through errant pedestrians, bike riders and motorcyclists not to mention foolish fauna.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I don't think you need a razor sharp bullbar. Mine is fairly efficient at carving a path through errant pedestrians, bike riders and motorcyclists not to mention foolish fauna.

Having watched criminals happily reversing into pursuing police cars on the several TV programmes on that subject, it has often occurred to me that police cars should be fitted with something like that. The American ones are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top