Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2016, 11:48 PM

Childrens safety at homes with swimming pools

Yet again here this week another young child has drowned in a private swimming pool. Itīs getting to be quite a common occurrence. 2 year olds, 3 year olds and this week a little 4 year old boy. I do know that taking your eyes of such young children for even a few minutes can lead to accidents, but I admit I find myself wondering why their "guardians" are not keeping a much closer eye on such young children when they are in the vicinity of a swimming pool.

We had our swimming pool "walled in" and gated. When there are children here at the house the gate is kept locked and children are not allowed in the pool area without adult supervision, small children that is. We had it "walled in" originally because we were concerned that one of our small dogs could easily fall in and not be able to get out, they liked to run round the pool and could so easily have fallen in, so better to ensure they couldnīt get near the pool unless they were there with us. We donīt allow drinking glasses poolside either, only plastic ones.

Itīs so tragic that yet another young child has died this way. I sincerely hope there wonīt be any more, but I guess thatīs a vain hope.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35989255
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 12:11 PM

Re: Childrens safety at homes with swimming pools

Very sad news, Loretta. Wish I knew how it could be prevented. Children run off in the blink of an eye, and adults not knowing where they are all the time.

What you did to your own sounds very sensible, and possibly the only answer, prevent unaccompanied access.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Garden ponds, swimming pools a huge danger but it just keeps happening people just dont realise how quickly it can happen in shallow water.

Most parents dont have the first aid skills needed to help a drowing child either.

Its something I suppose most people just dont want to think about..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 01:28 PM

Sadly I am not sure we can always prevent tragedies like this obviously we have to do what we can and clumsy has some good ideas in place but kids are attracted to water and you do only have to look away briefly for them to get into trouble. We walk along the tow path a lot and the kids have always been taught not to go too close but I can only say it's more luck than anything they all stayed on the path.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 04:51 PM

Thank you for the replies. You are all right, small children can get into big trouble in a very few seconds, and as Julie says, they are always attracted to water. I don't know what the answer is, other than what we did, but I suppose not everyone wants to have their pool in an enclosed area. Every year here there are children drowned in pools, it's so easy to take your eyes off them when you are sunbathing, having a barbeque, or just arriving at Grandma's house for a holiday. It's just so tragic though and I do think that people who know they have small children coming to visit should fence or wall off pool areas, even if only a temporary measure, I'm sure it must be possible and could save little lives.

My son was brought up at Chatsworth, water, water everywhere and he had no fear whatsoever, I swear he would just have walked right into it. He was kept on reins whenever we were out until he was old enough to understand that he must stay away from the ponds and rivers. He was also taught to swim at a very early age, but even so it was constantly drilled into him that he must stay away from water.
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 10:08 PM

Swimming pools can definitely be dangerous for young children.

I knew somebody who lived in Canada and his two daughters drowned when they went out to play in the back yard and fell into the pool. By the time he got there they were both dead.

To his dying day he never knew exactly what happened, but always regretted having that pool fitted.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ScottishCatLady ->
Swimming pools can definitely be dangerous for young children.

I knew somebody who lived in Canada and his two daughters drowned when they went out to play in the back yard and fell into the pool. By the time he got there they were both dead.

To his dying day he never knew exactly what happened, but always regretted having that pool fitted.

Crikey. You'd never forgive yourself, would you.

(Haven't seen you lately Susan, hope things are going OK).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top