Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2016, 05:31 PM

Question for those with car air conditioning

I took my Nissan Micra for it's service this morning and was surprised to be asked if I wanted the air conditioning decontaminated for an extra cost of £29.99?

Well all the time we had the last car we never had it decontaminated so why should we now with this one?
I refused anyway - It seems like a scam to me to get more money out of customers.

Do you think there's genuine cause for concern about air conditioning contamination?
Have you had it done to your car?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2016, 05:54 PM

Re: Question for those with car air conditioning

Reading the articles here, I would say it is not necessary, as long as you get it recharged and serviced, must get mine done before the Summer.
http://www.airconditioningforcars.co.uk/ACpage18.htm
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2016, 05:54 PM

All they will do is spray an aerosol through your air vents from the outside with the air con and blowers running, something you could do yourself , you only need to do it though if you are getting bad smells in your car with the air con on, as long as the pollen filter is OK it shouldn't be required, although you could buy the stuff and do it yourself
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2016, 05:55 PM

I have had air con in my cars for over twenty years now and not once have I had it decontaminated or pressurised. It's always worked in fact, with my last car I used to leave it on all the time.

I don't know if it's a scam but it's probably not necessary. If it was a fiver, I might indulge them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2016, 05:56 PM

This is what Kwik-Fit say:

Air Conditioning Information

You may not be aware that over 10% of air-con gas permeates from the air-con system every year, which means that it may not work as well as it should. This is why car manufacturers recommend your air-con system is recharged with gas and lubricant every 2 years. This service is not part of routine vehicle servicing, so if your vehicle is more than 2 years old it’s probably due an air-con recharge.
https://www.kwik-fit.com/air-conditioning/information

Ford say:

Air conditioning check

This is designed to spot any faults or failings in the air conditioning system, before they affect its performance or cause permanent and expensive damage.
The check includes:

•An operational inspection of all functional elements.
•A visual inspection of the refrigeration system for contamination and damage.
•An inspection for leaks.
•A technical performance test.
We recommend that your air conditioning system is recharged with gas and lubricant every two years. This is because around 15% of the air-con gas escapes naturally each year, making the system increasingly inefficient.
http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/...randTearChecks

I always get the a/c serviced .....

AA say:

Cut down on the air-con: air-conditioning increases fuel consumption at low speeds, but at higher speeds the effects are less noticeable. So if it's a hot day open the windows around town and save the air conditioning for high speed driving. Don't leave air-con on all the time but aim to run it at least once a week throughout the year to maintain the system in good condition.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...ive-smart.html
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2016, 05:57 PM

Every couple of years I have my air con serviced. As I understand it it needs topping up with fluid.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2016, 06:04 PM

If it is the air con unit I have never ever had one decontiminated nor topped up.

If it were me I would leave well alone unless I noticed something different.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2016, 06:53 PM

If you don't use them regularly the seals dry out and the refrigerant gas escapes, new seals and a recharge will not cost a fortune £100 or thereabouts.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2016, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
If you don't use them regularly the seals dry out and the refrigerant gas escapes, new seals and a recharge will not cost a fortune £100 or thereabouts.
Yes use the air con even in winter, have it serviced- regassed every couple of years, but a decontamination only uses an aerosol through the vents to kill bacteria , only required if you notice a smell when air con is used
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

08-04-2016, 09:39 PM

To be honest I find it more important in Winter, clears the screen very quickly, I only use it on really hot days in Summer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top