Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 02:50 PM

African politicians

I've been following this story about South African leader Mr. Zuma, who, amongst other things, has taken £15million from the public purse to add luxuries to his own home:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35966916

Ok, I know most politicians are corrupt, but it beggars belief that this man has been in office for as long as he has when he has been judged to be involved in corruption since even before his election.
I can think of one or two other similar stories in Africa. The whole system disgusts me. Is it any wonder that African countries find it hard to progress in the world? I feel so sorry for the many good people who live under this sort of shadow.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 03:03 PM

Re: African politicians

I'd like to know how many millions Putin has got stashed away in foreign bank accounts.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I'd like to know how many millions Putin has got stashed away in foreign bank accounts.
Shouldn't that post be on the Great Leak thread? Can't see its relevance here.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 03:25 PM

The relevance could be that your comment stated 'most politicians are corrupt' which would invite comments about other world leaders.

I agree with your sentiments on Africa, unfortunately it isn't restricted to one or two corruptions, nearly the whole of the African continent is corrupt.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Shouldn't that post be on the Great Leak thread? Can't see its relevance here.
As Tpin says I thought it was a thread about corruption in high places. Feel free to get it moved OU.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 03:54 PM

What annoys me most about Jacob Zuma (and similar politicians) is the way they betray the trust of their own poor people .
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

05-04-2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
What annoys me most about Jacob Zuma (and similar politicians) is the way they betray the trust of their own poor people .
Exactly my point, Meg. To me there seems to be something more abhorrent about this than most of the other things world politicians get up to put together.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 05:24 PM

Hi

Some things never change, I took the decision to avoid Africa 30 years ago, never been back since.

It is a great shame, the vast majority of the ordinary people I met were lovely, just struggling along in the midst of the chaos.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 05:53 PM

My last visits were to Chad, Rwanda and Algeria, all pre 1991.
All rotten to the core, as you say it's the decent ordinary folk that suffer.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 07:17 PM

Talk about hypocracy!!! Have you heard of the Panama Papers at all? Corruption, theft and greed are not confined to African politicians. The only difference is that they fix elections to get their positions. We're stupid enough to vote for ours!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top