Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 06:25 PM

you cannot take it with you

I pretty much live off of my savings and will do forever,(OK less so when I get to 65) I have just forked out a bit over 4k for new central heating and guess what?--my cooker is not well. It is very small,55cm and to replace it with a larger one(yes please) would need a new kitchen. I`m thinking sod it all I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. The future will look after itself.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 07:03 PM

Re: you cannot take it with you

Very true, you can't take it with you, but I would like to leave some to my grown up kids, they have been brilliant & still are to their Dad & me.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 07:39 PM

If you want a new kitchen, go for it. None of us know when our time will be up, so I'm all for enjoying the moment (within reason...)
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 07:49 PM

I'm in that situation, living on my savings. Should I or shouldn't I get repairs done to the property that just seem to be mounting up as soon as I bought the place.

If I do the repairs, too much chunk of savings will vanish into the ether, then what is there to live on or pay for care, if and when the need arises
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=Older git;871423] I`m thinking sod it all I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. The future will look after itself.

Very true OG, nobody knows what's around the corner, I believe in having comfort when I can get it, why not? we'll be dead long enough.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2016, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I pretty much live off of my savings and will do forever,(OK less so when I get to 65) I have just forked out a bit over 4k for new central heating and guess what?--my cooker is not well. It is very small,55cm and to replace it with a larger one(yes please) would need a new kitchen. I`m thinking sod it all I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. The future will look after itself.
That is my attitude as well, if my super earned no income whatsoever it would last me until I am 90 (give or take), then on top there is the government pension which is means tested so I only get a part pension.

I am 69 next month - my father died at 69, grandfather 72 so I buy what ever I need, when I need it; not much point in saving at this age.

I find with my current set up I can't spend my income except by going on extravagant holidays but what purpose would decreasing it serve? No one ever asks for their bank statement on their death bed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2016, 08:15 AM

Puts me in mind of my late mil she saved like crazy doing without all her life so she could have a worry free retirement, didn't holiday, didn't buy things she needed, not even prescriptions if she was ill. Died two days after she retired. No she couldn't take it with her, we have inherited some if it and it is making our lives easier but I think we both think we would have rather she had what she needed when she was alive than leave it to us.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2016, 08:18 AM

How sad my parents were the same .
We urged them to be comfortable but they didn't .
I would have much rather they had spend their savings on themselves .
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2016, 08:35 AM

In three months I will be 76 and I don't like spending, or at least I didn't, but of late, I think b******s, if I want something I will have it. Last week for example I spotted a coat in Debenhams, £80+ I think, tried it on, bought it, put it in the wardrobe till next winter.

Today we're off to a large market in Dorchester, if anything takes my fancy then no doubt I will buy it.

We are due to pass over 22k to son soon to help with a problem, that might cause me loss of sleep, but there you go.

I think that if you are someone that has paid up-front for your funeral, if you know your immediate family are "doing nicely", then why not spend when you feel like it. Don't get me wrong, if I can spend in the £ shop rather than elsewhere, I will.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2016, 08:47 AM

I dont buy raffle tickets as i may not still be around when they are drawn.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top