Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 07:07 AM

British Steel Industry etc

Hi

Tata, the Indian Company which owns most of our steel plants is deciding the future of their plants in the UK.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35913482

I hope they decide to continue, it would be tragedy for South Wales if they decided not to.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 10:50 AM

Re: British Steel Industry etc

We should be running our own steel industry, even if it makes a loss for now. How many times have foreign companies taken over British companies and then later closed them down...Disgraceful! The company I worked for was acquired by a large American company, run for a couple of years and then all the work transferred to America and the British factory closed down......Twice that happened, both times by American companies to two completely different industries here. One was a diamond tooling manufacturer and the other was a kitchen manufacturer. There's no wonder we've lost most of our Manufacturing Industries.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 11:03 AM

I fear it is too late. I know steel was making a loss years back,Corby closed,Sheffield closed,it goes on. Was there a way? who knows but I still blame Thatcher and her short term views.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
We should be running our own steel industry, even if it makes a loss for now. How many times have foreign companies taken over British companies and then later closed them down...Disgraceful! The company I worked for was acquired by a large American company, run for a couple of years and then all the work transferred to America and the British factory closed down......Twice that happened, both times by American companies to two completely different industries here. One was a diamond tooling manufacturer and the other was a kitchen manufacturer. There's no wonder we've lost most of our Manufacturing Industries.
I don't pretend to know much about the steel industry and I may be wrong but I think if Tata hadn't stepped it when they did it would not have lasted as long as it has in certain areas of the country.

I understand Tata are considerate employers too and I think they will do there best to keep things going in Wales as long as they are able.

Listening to an item on the news this morning , it seems the EU and tariffs have played a part in the mess we see now in the industry as well as the Chinese dumping their cheap steel in Europe.

Apparantly the steel we produce here is of a superior quality to anything the Chinese produce and there will always be a need for high quality steel if we can keep production going.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 11:22 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-vQslJoqpw
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 08:37 PM

Yes Meg, Green taxes placed upon some British businesses by the EU has had a devastating effect on our ability to be competitive on the world markets. There are three large coal fired power stations near where I live and they will soon all be shut down. I'm not saying the carbon tax has been their demise, but it can be the difference between profit and loss. It's not always cheap foreign labour that cripples British industry but the excessive cost of energy in this country compared to say China who still use coal fired stations with no penalty. And when the French finally get the nuclear power station working at Hinckly Point it will be far worse, exorbitant prices for the electricity produced have already been negotiated.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 08:42 PM

So we kill or cripple our children with toxic gases? Is it not possible to ignore the cheap crap steel from China and use the real McCoy?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

29-03-2016, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
So we kill or cripple our children with toxic gases? Is it not possible to ignore the cheap crap steel from China and use the real McCoy?
Toxic gases my arse! it's mostly steam that comes out of a coal fired power station. Oh, and CO2 something that's been present in the atmosphere since day one. You've not fallen for all the propaganda that the government have been spouting about CO2 and carbon so they can justify bunging up taxes have you.......And even if it were true, don't you think all that pollution will stay in China or Russia or the USA, and what about all the active volcanoes in the world that put out a hundred times more crap into the atmosphere than man ever will.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 09:52 PM

Toxic gases my arse! it's mostly steam that comes out of a coal fired power station. Oh, and CO2 something that's been present in the atmosphere since day one. You've not fallen for all the propaganda that the government have been spouting about CO2 and carbon so they can justify bunging up taxes have you.......And even if it were true, don't you think all that pollution will stay in China or Russia or the USA, and what about all the active volcanoes in the world that put out a hundred times more crap into the atmosphere than man ever will.
Well said. I'm pretty bored, now, with hearing about the planet dying due to us nasty human beings. It has become a thriving industry that benefits its subscribers, who I'm sure must include such people as wind turbine manufacturers and land owners who are happy to rent out bits of their land to their operators.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 10:49 PM

China who still use coal fired stations with no penalty.
I heard a good analogy the other day for our carbon saving efforts , while we take water out of a lake with a teaspoon others throw it back in with a bucket .

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top