Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:06 PM

The Boat race & the BBC.

I enjoyed watching the annual Oxford Cambridge boat race earlier today. Not something I normally watch but it was quite exciting, particularly the women's race.

The BBC coverage however was absolutely dire. Helen Skelton. who has the tv presence of a five year old and some complete idiot called Seann Walsh. Was he really getting paid for that performance? Then we saw Clare Balding speeding up the Thames like James Bond.???

In true BBC style, they had to point out which rower was a muslim -is that important to know?- (they didn't tell us who were catholics or CofE) and then everything else was turned into a comedy farce.

Are the BBC now incapable of presenting a serious unbiased programme?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:15 PM

Re: The Boat race & the BBC.

Doesn't sound as though you enjoyed it that much!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:21 PM

The Womens race was well worth a watch ,I thought at one point they were going to sink.But they battled on and finished the race .

The Mens race was not so exciting , there was some Iffy Commentary and I also thought what the heck has being a Muslim been brought into it for , It stood out as odd. Like if they had made a big thing out of anyone of the Rowers being Christian and what had they gave up for Lent .

Not the best weather to row in but it did make it more watchable ..
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:23 PM

I gave up watching it many years ago. The only time I found it exciting was the year one of the boats sank.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I gave up watching it many years ago. The only time I found it exciting was the year one of the boats sank.
One of my old friends was rowing in the boat that sank. He was very very upset, as his rowing in the boat race was a pinnacle of achievement for him. I felt quite sorry for him.
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:35 PM

I was out all day and didn't see it, so can somebody tell me, please, who won the mens' race this year ??? From what has been said, maybe I should be glad I didn't have to watch and listen to a rubbish commentary !
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
I was out all day and didn't see it, so can somebody tell me, please, who won the mens' race this year ??? From what has been said, maybe I should be glad I didn't have to watch and listen to a rubbish commentary !
Cambridge won.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:42 PM

The men's race was won by....

Cambridge.

The race commentary itself was ok but the giggling Ms Skelton and a the ignorant Walsh obviously thought they were on 8 out of 10 cats or similar.

At one point, Walsh was shown on a rowing machine and said 'At least I didn't sink.' This was just after they had shown the losing women's team in tears because they had lost due to almost sinking.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I enjoyed watching the annual Oxford Cambridge boat race earlier today. Not something I normally watch but it was quite exciting, particularly the women's race.

The BBC coverage however was absolutely dire. Helen Skelton. who has the tv presence of a five year old and some complete idiot called Seann Walsh. Was he really getting paid for that performance? Then we saw Clare Balding speeding up the Thames like James Bond.???

In true BBC style, they had to point out which rower was a muslim -is that important to know?- (they didn't tell us who were catholics or CofE) and then everything else was turned into a comedy farce.

Are the BBC now incapable of presenting a serious unbiased programme?
I can only agree, but everything seems to be dumbed down now to the level of playschool. I used to enjoy a good documentary, but every one now seems to have mumbling, unintelligible presenters and loud music obliterating any commentary worth listening to...
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 07:02 PM

I'm with you there, why do they have to have loud music over the news reading. I work shifts and if I put the news on at 5am I have to be quick to turn the volume down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top