Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 10:39 AM

Curved TVs.

Does anyone have one of those 'super duper' curved screen TVs, if so do you think they are worth the extra money ?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 10:54 AM

Re: Curved TVs.

I think you need to sit in various places and distances away before you buy one Alan. Just in case the picture distorts etc. They might be fine if you're sitting directly in front but not so good if you're sitting elsewhere. My middle daughter bought one of those backlit ones, you couldn't see the picture at certain angles or distances.
Just saying, check that sort of thing.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 12:38 PM

Nothing wrong with TVs as they are - wouldn't want one as a 'gift'
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 01:35 PM

The neighbours have one of those Tv's with internet facilty inbuilt. They quite often look at photos and FB on it and if Im upstairs I can see all their pictures thanks to magic of 4g and about 50inches of screen plus the fact that they have no net curtains!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 01:44 PM

Does anyone else think that there is far too much money spent on 'advancing' technology that we just don't need? I wish they would put it to better use.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 01:59 PM

What surprises me more are those offering the super HD, but there isn't anything really transmitted in that, so what a waste!

I like looking at the curved screens when I do my usual ambling around Currys PC World but one wouldn't be practical in my flat.

If my current 36" HD went kaput I'd go for a bigger screen with the internet icons maybe, but no, wouldn't go for a curved.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Does anyone have one of those 'super duper' curved screen TVs, if so do you think they are worth the extra money ?
I would save your money and forget curves Alan and wait until 4k gets a bit cheaper.

Quoted from Which
What's so special about 4K TV? You'll see the names 4K, Ultra HD, UHD and even 4K Ultra HD being banded about - but they all refer to the same thing. This is a TV with a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 pixels, more than 8 million pixels in total, which is four times the number in Full HD (1,920 x 1,080). Watching 4K TV at its best, you'll see everything on screen in crystal-clear clarity and sumptuous detail. There's so much detail and depth in the picture that it almost feels 3D at times - and you won't need special glasses to watch it. All the big brands, including Samsung, Panasonic, LG and Sony, now offer large ranges of 4K TVs - from entry-level models priced under £1,000 to monster sets costing many thousands of pounds. You'll generally find that 4K TVs are big screen models of 40-inches or over. This is because to really appreciate the higher picture quality you need to watch it on a large TV, as it's rather lost on a small screen.
My son wanted to buy me a new larger TV but my old 30'' suits me fine .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 02:06 PM

and what Which say about curved TVS..

Which
Are curved screen TVs worth the money? In the last few years, televisions with concave curved screens have started to emerge - firstly on high-end premium TVs but gradually filtering down to more affordable models. Manufacturers claim that curved TVs can enhance your viewing experience by 'wrapping' the picture around you, a bit like watching a film at the IMAX cinema. However, our expert and independent testing has indicated that the curved effect is minimal at best, and is only really visible if you sit dead straight on while watching the screen (something most people rarely do). Although a curve screen is a bit of a sales gimmick, curved TVs generally perform well in our lab, so you're not making an error in buying one. Bear in mind, though, that if you want to wall mount your TV, a curved model won't sit as flush as a flatscreen will.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 02:21 PM

Having seen my sons huge curved screen tv i fancied getting one myself but i couldn't justify that sort of cost. So when i got home i looked at my existing 50" screen and being a retired tv engineer of almost fifty years i thought Hmm! I could convert this one. So i gripped either end of said tv, lifted it from the cabinet, placed my right knee in the middle of the screen and heaved!! Anybody wanna buy two 25" tv sets? In slight need of attention.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Having seen my sons huge curved screen tv i fancied getting one myself but i couldn't justify that sort of cost. So when i got home i looked at my existing 50" screen and being a retired tv engineer of almost fifty years i thought Hmm! I could convert this one. So i gripped either end of said tv, lifted it from the cabinet, placed my right knee in the middle of the screen and heaved!! Anybody wanna buy two 25" tv sets? In slight need of attention.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top