Join for free
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 09:14 AM

Ping went the ipad, ping went the phone.......

Ping went the ipad and ping went the phone, with one eye I noted it was just after 5am. Then I went into "Cyprus time zone" and thought, it's 7am there and my daughter went on-line yesterday, ugh. On viewing the message in case it was urgent note she just wanted to tell me her 4yr old had messed with their alarm clock and set it for 3am!. Nothing more, just idle chat.

Laying awake then thought I'd browse. Somehow she detected I was on-line and we skyped.

Yes, it's a very small thing I know, but through the wonder of this internet thingy, these things are now common-place and it makes distance, no distance at all. Three years is a long time for them to be posted, but skype is amazing as I'm sure many of you have discovered.

There are other ways to make such video calls, such as google hangouts, viber, etc and facetime but that requires both to use a either ipad/iphone.

I will try to remember to turn the sound off both these things every night now, but then make myself remember to turn it on again the next day.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 09:28 AM

Re: Ping went the ipad, ping went the phone.......

My mum has learned facetime and message posting on FB but Ive had to turn off ntoifications from her because she forgets the time and the phone pings half the night!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 09:32 AM

My iphone is turned off every night. My thinking is that if we are really needed urgently they will ring the "loud enough to wake the dead" landline.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 09:40 AM

When they talked about these futuristic gadgets some 20 years ago, I thought, how amazing and here we are today, where these electronic devices are as common as drinking a glass of water. The future gadgets might be an aparatus that projects an image in the air where the image could be used as a phone, TV or a computer. Which means that this technology will give us less things to deal with or carry.

I find traveling into the past very easy, since I can deal with my surroundings. But as a future traveler, its confusing with all the new technology,making it quite difficult for me to cope with
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 09:54 AM

Colin an unexpected treat no doubt talking to your daughter whatever the hour...

Skype is a wonderful aid for separated families my neighbour speaks to her sons in the USA every day and she is able to watch her grandchildren growing up something which would not have been possible a few years ago.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 09:58 AM

Ping went the ipad, ping went the phone....... and ping went the strings of my heart...!!

I don't have my iPad in the bedroom. I keep my iPhone deep in a drawer so the pings of an email alert doesn't wake me up!
I just have the ordinary landline phone next to my bed and if that rang in the early hours, it would give me a fright!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 10:34 AM

I turn off my laptop before bed every night so am never disturbed by "pings" and my landline fone stays downstairs I do have my mobile by my bed but 99.99.999999999% it stays silent lol
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 12:09 PM

I do get cross with people who message and expect a reply straight away. I've even known people who wait ten minutes and send a "?" I pretend I haven't noticed and leave it for hours.
Also I get messages from one daughter saying," Where are you?" because I haven't answered the housephone, so I just reply, "here"
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 06:08 PM

OK, so here we are again after a day of attempts to contact one-another. It's odd this 2hr time difference. When they tried to contact me from a Cyprus Costa having coffee, we were on the bus, then they tried again, and we was in a Wilko's lift, arriving home noticed several "are you home yet? messages, then I call them to find they are cooking/eating. But success tonight with an eventful skype.

As for tonight, the ipad and phone is going off and if I am needed, the landline is there. I keep the ipad handy for when I wake early.

PS, it has been two hours since I posted the above and since then, have had three phone calls from them and made two and one skype. all because they want something from Argos, who said "you will miss them", it's as though they are next door.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 08:04 PM

I have an American pen pal, well she was a pen pal, then we discovered firstly MSN & chatted most nights on that, even video'd too, then MSN was no more, so now we have to Skype, it isn't the same, but we are getting used to it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top