Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 11:23 AM

Sub-titles

Anyone noticed the howlers on TV sub-titles?

This morning, whilst watching the news about the terrible bombing in Brussels, the sub-titles said:

'ANNE BOLEYN says there are small buses.' (to take people away)

Another one I noticed a while back was:

'People playing tennis in Kenneth Branagh'

Please add any ones you have seen.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 03:04 PM

Re: Sub-titles

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Anyone noticed the howlers on TV sub-titles?
This morning, whilst watching the news about the terrible bombing in Brussels, the sub-titles said:
'ANNE BOLEYN says there are small buses.' (to take people away)
Another one I noticed a while back was:
'People playing tennis in Kenneth Branagh'
Please add any ones you have seen.
I rely totally now on subtitles.

It's not funny for me I'm afraid.

It leaves me even more isolated.

The really sad thing is that the technology to turn speech to text is amazing but it simply cannot mimic the human brain and translate everything accurately with minimal input.

It's like my aids; I have amazing digital aids that are the best I can hope for but very often, what I actually think I hear is things like "ANNE BOLEYN says there are small buses" ,"People playing tennis in Kenneth Branagh" or "Small muesli on the pharmaceuticals" that I saw at 3:45 this morning.

Sorry buy No, its not that funny. stevmk2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 05:04 PM

Re: Sub-titles

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I rely totally now on subtitles.

It's not funny for me I'm afraid.

It leaves me even more isolated.

The really sad thing is that the technology to turn speech to text is amazing but it simply cannot mimic the human brain and translate everything accurately with minimal input.

It's like my aids; I have amazing digital aids that are the best I can hope for but very often, what I actually think I hear is things like "ANNE BOLEYN says there are small buses" ,"People playing tennis in Kenneth Branagh" or "Small muesli on the pharmaceuticals" that I saw at 3:45 this morning.

Sorry buy No, its not that funny. stevmk2
I quite agree, although I find it funny, it's only because the mistakes are so ridiculous. I have often said to my wife (who has a slight hearing problem) that anyone relying on sub-titles would probably lose the thread of the story. I'm guessing that all the live stuff is translated by voice recognition and that's where the mistakes happen. Also, the live sub-titles are always so far behind that I guess you must wonder who's saying them.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top