Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 12:52 PM

Angry doesn't sum it up!

Ruddy builders, ugh. When our builder left on Monday, he said he would definitely be here on Wednesday to finish the job and if he couldn't come, would phone.

To be on the safe side (belt & braces) I left a message on his answer phone yesterday to say Thursday is hospital day and not to consider that.

Up at the crack of dawn to await their arrival........................................... .................nothing at 11am so I phoned both landline/mobile and both answerphones. Looked at email and there at 10.20am sits one cancelling and stating he will be here THURSDAY, hospital day!.

Two further calls and eventually reap the reward of speaking to his wife. I told her of my disappointment that a courtesy phone call had not been forthcoming. "Leave it with me" said she. Some minutes later, she called back saying "he didn't have my number", that's despite me calling him ten minutes before, ie call log?.

Anyway, I have been pencilled in, only pencil mind you, for late afternoon tomorrow by which time we should be back.

I know we all have our problems, but I feel easier now I've got that off my chest.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 01:00 PM

Re: Angry doesn't sum it up!

Oh dear Colin 'been there done that '.

It is my belief that builders taken on as many jobs as they can even though they can't physically do them all at once. Once they have secured the jobs they do a bit here and there to try to keep everyone happy then worm their way out of responding when someone complains about them not turning up .

As long as they do a good job when they eventually do turn up, that is the main thing.
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Oh dear Colin 'been there done that '.

It is my belief that builders taken on as many jobs as they can even though they can't physically do them all at once. Once they have secured the jobs they do a bit here and there to try to keep everyone happy then worm their way out of responding when someone complains about them not turning up .

As long as they do a good job when they eventually do turn up, that is the main thing.
I am itching to create something special on the patio and with the weather favourable I am ready to go only I can't.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 01:25 PM

Why is it when a builder is late or unreliable it's "bloody builders".
Why isn't it "bloody unreliable people"?

As for builders taking on too many jobs at once, this I have found to be untrue(usually). It's usually an attempt to keep everybody happy(usually unsuccessful, i admit)

The building trade is a hard job to plan, we are reliant on customers sticking to plan which they often don't, ie: while you're here can you just do this or that, it adds time.

We are also time dependant on deliveries, inspections etc.

Sometimes customers refuse to give deposits or are late giving them, some builders find it hard to finance YOUR job so need to take on a few little jobs to make ends meet. We are one of the few businesses that are expected to fund your dreams, usually running into thousands £'s, until finished, where else could you go and ask for something and pay later?

I could write a book of customer excuses of why they can't/won't pay, why they weren't in when I've driven 45mls to see them, why I couldn't gain access to their property to do the work, why they haven't emptied kitchen cupboards or moved furniture etc.
islandman
Dorset UK

16-03-2016, 01:29 PM

It so happens, I always ask if they want any "up front"cash. On Monday when he said he would be back to finish the job today, I asked him if he wanted paying even though the job was unfinished as the cash, (£500 ) is waiting for him.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by islandman ->
It so happens, I always ask if they want any "up front"cash. On Monday when he said he would be back to finish the job today, I asked him if he wanted paying even though the job was unfinished as the cash, (£500 ) is waiting for him.
You are one of the few, very decent of you.

It's obvious your contractor had good intentions of returning today as he's still got £500 invested in completion.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Why is it when a builder is late or unreliable it's "bloody builders".
Why isn't it "bloody unreliable people"?
I guess on occasion that applies to both Terry

As for builders taking on too many jobs at once,
I was told that by one builder

The building trade is a hard job to plan, we are reliant on customers sticking to plan which they often don't, ie: while you're here can you just do this or that, it adds time.

We are also time dependant on deliveries, inspections etc.

Sometimes customers refuse to give deposits or are late giving them, some builders find it hard to finance YOUR job so need to take on a few little jobs to make ends meet. We are one of the few businesses that are expected to fund your dreams, usually running into thousands £'s, until finished, where else could you go and ask for something and pay later?

I could write a book of customer excuses of why they can't/won't pay, why they weren't in when I've driven 45mls to see them, why I couldn't gain access to their property to do the work, why they haven't emptied kitchen cupboards or moved furniture etc.
I can appreciate much of that Terry
...however very often one little phone call from a builder to keep a customer up to date with what is going on is all that is needed to keep many people happy
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by islandman ->
To be honest, we never pay 'up front' unless it is insisted upon, and even then if it is someone we know and trust. We have been stung a couple of times already.

On the other hand, we always pay our dues immediately after the work is finished. We have never failed to pay up and to failing to pay on time is completely against our nature. We are proud to be honest people.

Personally, I tend to use review web sites such as Which. I would only use someone who has received several positive reviews. I'm surprised that builders or other tradesmen don't have access to a similar sort of web site on which poor customers are listed! Fair dos, they ought to have.
islandman
Dorset UK

16-03-2016, 03:45 PM

The story behind this builder is. When the survey was carried out prior to purchase, it was noted there was a degree of dampness in a wall and as such, the recommendation was that was dealt with. The builder came recommended by the Estate Agent (I believe).

He arrived and completed that job on time. In conversation at the end of his work (to our satisfaction) I mentioned that decking needed to be removed as it appear not to our liking. HE offered to remove it there and then at an agreed price, I paid that day.

We also agreed we would get back to him after he had given us a quote for concrete. In the meantime four other builders tended for concrete, slabs & decking, but our original chaps price appealed, plus we'd been satisfied before.

It's only now things are not running "as I would like". As an aside, his delay has meant I could put his work to the test, so carefully poured a watering can of water over it.

The result, it's not draining. A huge puddle in the middle. After it has been there three hours, I will photograph it and send it to him so when he arrives tomorrow, he should be prepared to deal with the drainage, finish the steps and then get paid.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

16-03-2016, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I guess on occasion that applies to both Terry

I was told that by one builder

I can appreciate much of that Terry
...however very often one little phone call from a builder to keep a customer up to date with what is going on is all that is needed to keep many people happy
I totally agree. A phone call is only polite.

I just hate generalisation. I pride myself on punctuality, my business is built on that which has resulted in a good name, along with quality, of course.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top