Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 10:32 AM

King Harold recruiting his army

On the exact spot where my house is, it is the place King Harold recruited his army for the 1066 Battle of Hastings.

The first man to offer his services was an axe thrower
King Harold said " how good an axe thrower are you?"
The axe thrower said "Sire I am the best in all England""

"Let me see you cut that twig on that branch on the tree so it falls to the ground" said King Harold

So the axe man raised is axe and threw it and it cut down the afore mentioned twig.

King Harold was so impressed he made the axe thrower one of his personal guard

Next to offer his services was a spear thrower.
So king Harold asked " " how good an spear thrower are you?"
The spear thrower replied "Sire I am the best in all England"

King Harold set up a target and said "let me see you throw a spear into the middle of that target"

The spear thrower threw the spear and hit the dead centre of the target

King Harold was so impressed he made the spear thrower one of his personal guards as well.

The third person who offered his services was not a fighting man but the village idiot.

So King Harold asked him "What can you do to fight the enemy?"
The villiage idiot said he didn't know but wanted to fight instead of tending the cows in the field every day.

So King Harold gave it some thought and decided he might be good with a bow and arrow.
So he gave the villiage idiot a bow and arrow and asked him to shoot with it

Well the arrow must have bounced off every nearby tree.
King Harold was so worried he said "Put that man at the back of the army before he has someones eye out"
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 10:42 AM

Re: King Harold recruiting his army

Interesting Bazza I wonder if there are any 'relics' in your garden..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 10:57 AM

Glad you likes the joke Meg
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 12:52 PM

Was that a joke? I thought he was serious.
So could it have been the village idiot that shot the arrow that ended up in Harold's eye?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 01:12 PM

When I first got married we bought a house that was on an old British Army barracks that had been demolished and new houses built. There was a spot where Field Marshal Mongomery parked his tank!
Over the road from me were the 'jankers' an old prison block that was converted into two bungalows. Many old soldiers who were stationed there during the war used to come to reminisce at their time in the jankers!
We would find old bullets and other army bits when digging the garden!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Was that a joke? I thought he was serious.
So could it have been the village idiot that shot the arrow that ended up in Harold's eye?
I thought it was a bit of both EJ

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top