Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
karensv
New Member!
london uk
karensv is female 

12-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Myths About Ageing

Let’s look at the most persistent myths about ageing that conflict with recent scientific findings.

• To be old is to be infirm - Decades of research refute the myth that to be old is to be frail. Between 1982 and 1994, the population in developed countries over age 65 that reported any disability fell from 24.9 percent to 21.3 percent, or one in five. Older people are generally healthy. Even in advanced old age, an overwhelming majority of the elderly population have little functional disability, and the proportion that is disabled is being whittled away over time. The combination of longer life and less illness is adding life to years as well as years to life.

• You can’t teach an old dog new tricks - Research on mental function in old age is encouraging. The fears of age-related loss are often exaggerated. Current estimates are that no more than 10 percent of all elderly people, aged 65 to 100 or more, are Alzheimer’s patients and 50 percent of those aged 74 to 81 show no mental decline at all.

• Age-related changes are irreversible – It is’s time to dispel the false and discouraging claim that over a certain age it is too late to take active measures to reduce risk and promote health. The truth is that taking those decisions about your health and lifestyle can not only recover lost functions but also decrease the risk of other losses. In some case we can actually enhance how our body works beyond previous levels. It is almost never too late to intervene in your own life and health by breaking old habits such as smoking and over-consumption of alcohol, while adopting new habits for your diet and daily exercise. Making these changes can mark the transition from what we think is the “normal” course of ageing to Sage Vita – the path of a wise life, based on common sense and healthy habits.

• Genetics determines the rate at which we age – People commonly assume that genes are fate, determining how our body functions as we get older. In fact, there is solid evidence that the choices we make about how we live determine the quality and longevity of that life. Each of us has the capacity to enhance our chances of maintaining high mental and physical ability as we grow older.

• Your body starts to deteriorate - One of the most common myths about ageing is that you inevitably grow weaker. When studying people who kept training physically as they got older, researchers have consistently found that you may be able to prevent physical deterioration by staying active and that some physiological factors needed for good performance are not as affected by age as previously thought.

• It's too late to start training for a marathon - Marathon running after 50 was once considered to be too hard on your joints. Many individuals are disproving the belief that ageing and physical training are mutually exclusive. Like any sensible physical pursuit, at any age, a training regime needs to be implemented gradually over enough time for the body to build strength and resistance. There are more and more examples of people well over 50 running long distance races, climbing mountains, bicycling over long distances. We have to rid ourselves of the “myth” that we can become too old to benefit from regular exercise.

• You become more susceptible to injury - Perhaps the biggest fear we face when embarking on an exercise regimen is that of injury. We dread the possibility of pulling a muscle or taking a spill that will send us into a downward spiral of health problems. As with everything, there are safe ways of embarking on a physical exercise program and there are other ways which will spell disaster. Once again, common sense and sound professional advice have to be at the heart of a physical exercise program that is adapted to your body and your needs. I knew a judge who at the age of 80 was one of the most skilled amateur Alpine skiers on the slopes. Careful, yes, but still skiing with grace and style.

For more info visit www.sagevita.com
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 02:07 PM

Re: Myths About Ageing

What happened to your pal "Pedro"?
karensv
New Member!
london uk
karensv is female 

12-06-2010, 02:21 PM

It might sound funny I know, but we changed the team member who's taking care of forums interaction. I hope that's okay with you =)

Have a nice day Mags.

KarenSV
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 02:26 PM

As the actress said to the elderly Bishop-"I see you are still keeping up"
karensv
New Member!
london uk
karensv is female 

12-06-2010, 02:28 PM

Did you guys liked the article ?
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 05:49 PM

1. I`m not a guy.
2. I don`t like being lectured - especially by people I don`t know.
3. If I want want spam, I`ll buy a tin.
karensv
New Member!
london uk
karensv is female 

12-06-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
1. I`m not a guy.
2. I don`t like being lectured - especially by people I don`t know.
3. If I want want spam, I`ll buy a tin.
I'm sorry. Did you enjoy it? Btw no one was trying to lecture you. I was just sharing a piece of information with you. If you maybe criticize it in a constructive way would be more useful than just acting like that.

Thanks, and sorry for inconvenience.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by karensv ->
Did you guys liked the article ?
There's nothing really in the article - apart from like Claire said a bit of a lecture. Most people already know that lifestyle choices will impact your health - what's new there? And more importantly, there are no better answers on your site - just everything leads to 'join us'.

Originally Posted by karensv ->
I'm sorry. Did you enjoy it? Btw no one was trying to lecture you. I was just sharing a piece of information with you. If you maybe criticize it in a constructive way would be more useful than just acting like that.
See above - there isn't any information of tangible value there. It's like the article was written for the sake of it, to get people to click thro to your website.

Perhaps you are new to the internet/forums - but what you're doing is just spamming (which is not something we allow here btw).

If you want to get visitors to your site, advertise, or write content that people will actually find interesting enough and want to share themselves.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->

If you want to get visitors to your site, advertise, or write content that people will actually find interesting enough and want to share themselves.
Quite. And Hello would have been nice.
And sweetie - you really wouldn`t like me when I`m being constructive.....

We could start by looking at your initial and eroneous assumption - that we believe these `myths` you talk about. I personally doubt anyone here believes the sort of knee-jerk folksy recieved wisdom you quote. And I also believe the people here have a lot more knowledge and experience of aging (or, as we know it, living) than you do, to judge from the processed pap that drones on in your article.
Why not tell us something interesting? Like what you get paid to be a Forum Interactions Expert? Or do you work on commission? Like - a cent a click?
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2010, 05:56 PM

Facts about ageing-your bum sags,your tits sag,your willy gets like and old car-it often needs hand cranking.

You get wrinkles.

Some of us know this already,but we still smile

Sorry -just my weird sense of humour

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top