Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2016, 11:20 AM

Sunday trading

I see the SNP have blocked Sunday trading longer opening times for England and Wales. Why? because they are afraid of loosing business in Scotland. How they fathom that out I don't know.

What it does mean a huge reduction of tax money the government can get, and again a big loss in employing extra staff where necessary.

So maybe it would be better if Scotland had their own parliament and kept their nose out of England.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2016, 12:19 PM

Re: Sunday trading

I do support Sunday trading in fact I would say 24/7 would be best but when it comes down to it do the shops actually make more money doing it as i would imagine we would all spend the same amount just spread over longer hours.

I don't understand why Scotland had any right to vote on this though as we didn't vote on their change.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2016, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

So maybe it would be better if Scotland had their own parliament
I think you will find that they do !!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2016, 01:17 PM

I can only go on what I have read and watched on the news but it seems to me to be .

Nicola Sturgeon promised that the SNP would never again interfere with laws that affect England only. She says the reason the SNP broke this vow in voting against the Sunday Trading Law being passed in England was that because if it had, then it might affectthe rights of Sunday Trading Laws already in place in Scotland. Whether it would or wouldn’t is anyone’s guess but what a perfect opportunity it gave them to give the Tories a bloody nose !! How could they resist!

The Tory rebels who voted against longer opening hours for Supermarkets and other large shops did so because they knew longer opening hours on a Sunday would have affected many people here in England. It mayl have been beneficial for those living in the cities but for the rest of the country it would have meant that one special day of the week, Sunday, a day of rest, would have been no more! As it is, most supermarkets are allowed to open 10 until 4, giving shopworkers at least some time of the day to be with their families.I personally believe this is more than adequate for those who wish to retain this British tradition.

Besides, this Law seems to have been written on the back of a Cigarette packet in a rush !
It was never even mentioned in their Manifesto. It seems to have been just something thought up on the spur of the moment to boost the economy with not a thought of how it would affect the lives of those people who would have to work longer hours when they would rather be with their families on what is supposed to be a day of rest.
Note also how time and a half or double time for Sundays no longer exists for shopworkers !

I am pleased it didn’t get passed. If Dave and George were made to look foolish by the SNP and the Tory Rebels, so be it. I hope this is one that Dave throws into the long grass and forgotten about. He’s very good at that.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2016, 01:23 PM

I can see it would interfere with Family time. I like shopping on a Sunday & people who work Monday to Saturday must find it easier too.
Leave it as it is, if people can't shop on Sundays between opening hours then too bad.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2016, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I do support Sunday trading in fact I would say 24/7 would be best but when it comes down to it do the shops actually make more money doing it as i would imagine we would all spend the same amount just spread over longer hours.
They would not make any more money.Llook at what has happened to the pubs since all day opening was introduced. We all have a finite amount of disposable income, when it's gone it's gone!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2016, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
They would not make any more money.Llook at what has happened to the pubs since all day opening was introduced. We all have a finite amount of disposable income, when it's gone it's gone!
That's what I thought. So it's not really a good idea at all.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2016, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
That's true Purwell, Some supermarket and large shop bosses have said it wouldn't make much difference to profits if they opened longer on a Sunday. They stated that some people who would in the past have shopped on a Saturday, now shop on a Sunday instead simply for the convenience so the footfall is almost the same without a noticeable increase in shoppers - hence no great profit. Costs would outweigh profits.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2016, 05:11 PM

Hi

Sundays are fishing days.

As long as I can get my maggots, I am not really bothered.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2016, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Sundays are fishing days.

As long as I can get my maggots, I am not really bothered.
Oh, I hate fishing! It's cruel - you should be out shopping instead during the hours we already have, obviously.

Don't need longer opening so I'm with the Scots on this one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top