Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2010, 11:55 PM

Bins Galore

At the moment we have three coloured waste bins, now the council want to bring out another one (probably to recycle your used hair and toe-nails). Now I don't know how many bins you have where you live, but I think two is enough for any household, now four!, are they going to stop there?, at the rate they are going we won't be able to get out the door for all the bins. They are the ugliest things on the road (apart from the Kelly sisters) and the council have the cheek to complain about satellite dishes?. Here's the sting in the tail, they are beginning to individually charge for each bin every time you use it, meanwhile the manufacturers are still double wrapping their products (three wrappers on one bar of soap), a nice little conspired earner wouldn't you think.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 02:28 AM

Re: Bins Galore

Four? Overkill! Here in Washington we have two: a big ugly green one for trash and a smaller ugly blue one for recycling.

Don't get me started on package wrapping... absurd, you need a Stanley knife to get some things open, especially if you have arthritis in your hands, Bah!
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
They are the ugliest things on the road (apart from the Kelly sisters)

That made me laugh. lol

But seriously - they have gone mad here too. We have 3 - one for rubbish, one for paper (don't dare put shredded paper in there) one for glass and metal. Some of the neighbours have a 4th - for garden waste. The rubbish bin is emptied only every two weeks leading to a smelly bin in warmer weather. I have seen them seething with maggots sometimes. grrrrr

Now I am committed to recycling but couldn't someone design a bin with separate compartments?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 12:15 PM

We have 3 bins here ....... a large black one for general rubbish, a black box for paper, tins and glass, a small brown bin for food waste. Our large black bin is emptied every two weeks and now they are talking about reducing the size of this bin ......ridiculous, I think, as it will only encourage more fly-tipping.

The black box and the brown bin are emptied weekly.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Three here-one for landfill,one for re-cycle and one for `green`-seems reasonable enough to me
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 12:40 PM

'There's a pink one and a yellow one, a green one and an orange one and there all made out of tickie-tackie'.
Remember that song, little boxes?.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 12:47 PM

And the people in the houses

all went to the university............

Maybe I`m becoming a snob in my later years but I think that university is not for everyone(and the costs are getting silly). Bring back apprenticeships and on the job training
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 01:15 PM

We have green ones for garden waste (you have to pay extra for the priviledge), black ones for rubbish, pink ones for recycling, white ones for textiles and a blue box for food waste.
So that`s 5.
Paint tins,fridges, large items you have to pay them to take away.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 04:13 PM

We have a Black Wheelie for general waste Green wheelie for garden waste (No soil) a blue box for papers
a large blue bag for cardboard and a red box for tins and glass So 5 in toal here....
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2010, 04:46 PM

Ours are picked up weekly. We have to put all the recycling together in the bin: glass, tins, paper, plastic; they swear it's all sorted out somehow at the center, but I do wonder ....

Large items like chairs, old TVs, etc. we have to call for a special Bulk Pickup.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top