Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Falcone
New Member!
South Yorks
Falcone is male 

09-06-2010, 07:51 PM

Evening all!

Hi,

Just joined the forum, took the hint and decided to introduce myself!

My name is David, I live in South Yorks. I'm 54 and about to leave the world of work – yippie!

Whether I can afford to or not is another matter of course! Actually I believe I can. I'll be 'time rich and cash poor' but I'm happy with that.

I have been a secondary school teacher for the last 31 years. Was going to hang on until my 55th birthday next year and take my reduced pension but the 'b**gers' have got to me and frankly for, 'sanity and health' I've decided I have had enough and, have enough savings (bang goes the camper van I had been saving to 'maybe' buy!) to see me through 'til then (next April). So I handed in my resignation. Six weeks left – just about survive, I think!

Thought I'd check out a few sites and look for canny suggestions and hints and tips from others to eek out that reduced pension and savings.

Look forward to reading through the forums and contributing.

David.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2010, 07:55 PM

Re: Evening all!

Hey David, welcome

I don't know much about pensions etc - but hope you don't lose too much by retiring early (we do have a money & finance section where you might want to post tho).

I don't blame you retiring early - I'd much rather be time rich and cash poor

What did you teach? ...and should we call you Sir?
Falcone
New Member!
South Yorks
Falcone is male 

09-06-2010, 08:10 PM

Hi Azz,

Thank you for the welcome.

I have probably failed already as this is my second response to this - my first seemed to disappear in to the ether - no doubt, I'll end up with two almost identical missives!

Looking at your profile I felt compelled to point out that I too am from South Wales but was cruelly snatched away to The Wirral before I could talk and complain. Still have many relatives I visit down that way though.

Money is going to be very tight - but there are always options. I have simple and relatively cheap tastes and hobbies - so sure I'll survive. As long as I can afford petrol to go out on one of my motorbikes, I'll be happy.

I am basically a 'special needs' teacher so have taught many subjects. Most often though I have taught English.

You can call me whatever you like - professionally I will have been called far worse I can tell you!
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2010, 09:33 PM

Hi David, welcome, good to meet you...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Hi David welcome to the forum!

I reckon you deserve a medal having been a secondary teacher for 31 years! Teaching must be quite a stressful job these days

Hope you enjoy it here
Falcone
New Member!
South Yorks
Falcone is male 

09-06-2010, 09:49 PM

Hi Mags and Moli,

Thank you for taking the time to welcome me.

As much as I now rather feel I have given as much as I can I HAVE enjoyed my teaching career, even in an always 'challenging' environment, BUT times have changed and it's not the same career that I entered as a 'starry eyed youth. Far too much interference and many, many changes in the last 10 or more years and rarely for the better. Quite happy to pass the baton on.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2010, 10:10 PM

I'm sure you'll find all of us on here less trouble than the teenagers, David!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2010, 10:14 PM

Hello David nice to meet you-hope you enjoy the forum
Falcone
New Member!
South Yorks
Falcone is male 

09-06-2010, 10:14 PM

NOT, so sure about that!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I'm sure you'll find all of us on here less trouble than the teenagers, David!
Originally Posted by Falcone ->
NOT, so sure about that!
Exactly what I was gonna say

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top