Join for free
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 01:12 AM

Gift cards

My attention has just been drawn to the pitfalls of 'gift cards'. It appears that many of them have expiry dates.

Many are given as Christmas or birthday gifts, or whatever, and are put to one side and forgotten about, then later discovered and found to be out of date. A nice, tidy profit for the issuers!

I have made it clear that, whilst grateful for any presents given, I'd much prefer not to receive gift cards.

May I suggest that if you like to give gift cards to your friends and relatives, you consider choosing some other sort of gift or, alternatively, cash? If cash appears too impersonal or perhaps even patronising, remember that a £10 gift card is little different to a £10 note, with the exception that, after a time it may become worth nothing!

Another disadvantage of gift cards is, of course, that they can not be used anywhere other than in the outlet that issued them.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 07:45 AM

Re: Gift cards

There are some lovely Birthday and Christmas cards available nowdays with a printed gift envelope attached.

Ive used them in the past.. Recent times have also show if a company goes bust gift cards are not honoured.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 09:41 AM

The other day I found a load of gift cards and also theatre passes my husband had been given, in one of his drawers, which were well out of date. He had forgotten about them that was a few hundred £s down the drain! I must remember to tell people not to give them to him.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 09:57 AM

The other problem with gift cards is that they can, just like dosh, be nicked in the post.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 11:26 AM

It's worth contacting the companies if you have any out of date, when my dad died we found nearly £200 worth and all the companies were really helpful and let us cash them as long as we bought stuff of a higher value than the vouchers.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top