Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 12:22 AM

Postmen.

Why do postmen wear shorts in winter?
It doesn't make sense to me because they have coats on their top half!!

Anybody know?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 12:43 AM

Re: Postmen.

Have you not heard there is a cut back in postal costs? The postmen are now trimmed back to the bone.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 07:18 AM

Next time I see one I will ask, and report back, meanwhile, here is my theory.
In the hot weather, it is an obvious choice, an attempt to keep cool, in the cold wet weather, it is easy to keep the top of the torso warm and dry with a good coat, but, the precipitation naturally falls, and soaks the trouser, which can be protected, but at great cumbersome cost, this must be uncomfortable, so it is just easier to dry the legs with a towel, when back at the van (and change the socks).
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 08:07 AM

@ Spitfire that's so true.

My husband is a truck driver and wears shorts as long as he can for the same reasons. He said its easier to dry his legs than walk round in wet trousers
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Why do postmen wear shorts in winter?
It doesn't make sense to me because they have coats on their top half!!

Anybody know?
I asked one postmen that and he said all the exercise he had made him warm.

Secondary school children around here think it uncool to wear a coat in even the coldest of weather, over their school uniforms, not even when it is raining. They must either be suffering from hypothermia, or soaking wet by the time they arrive at school! Mind you, even on the hottest of days in summer I have seen some of them wearing their school jumpers!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 10:08 AM

Easier to dry legs as had been said and walking keeps them warm, my husband hardly ever wears anything but shirts, just more comfortable in them.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 10:12 AM

Haven't they heard of waterproof over trousers.? I've got some for when I go walking and they keep me lovely & dry...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 10:14 AM

Haven't they heard of waterproof over trousers.? I've got some for when I go walking and they keep me lovely & dry...
Far too hot for working in as normal trousers already make them too warm.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Easier to dry legs as had been said and walking keeps them warm, my husband hardly ever wears anything but shirts, just more comfortable in them.
That typo did make me laugh. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face, Julie
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 11:39 AM

The postman who wear shorts probably jog round their walk as I used to do and waterproof over trousers are too cumbersome and hot. As has been said before, skin is by far the most efficient waterproof covering and it dries within minutes when the rain stops. Postmans legs are mostly muscle and after a while get used to the conditions, once you wear trousers it is very difficult to return to shorts without feeling the cold. Keep the upper body, head and hands warm and do some running and not only will you stay warm, you will have happy customers who get their post early.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top