Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 03:56 PM

Money as presents for grandchildren

I asked my DIL what I could get for my 11year old grand daughter for Easter . I was thinking of getting her an outfit from Next which is fairly trendy for children
She suggests I give her a gift voucher for another shop as she likes to choose her own clothles .

The thing is her mother allows her to dress like the rag bag much of the time and seems to give her little guidance as to what looks good so she generally looks a mess.

I would prefer to go with her and buy something that looks good .
I am happy to give her the money but don't want it wasted on rubbish .

What you think ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 03:58 PM

Re: Money as presents for grandchildren

Most kids prefer money these days, they get a proper present from us no choosing their own either
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 03:58 PM

I give everyone money as presents these days, much less hassle.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 04:13 PM

Muddy, I have learned, what we like and what they like are two different things!
I remember once buying a dress for one of my daughters when she was about the same age. She wore the dress once and it mysteriously disappeared! I learned years on, she hated the dress and had hidden it!!
I do feel, when you gift money, that it's up to them how they spend it...even if it's something you don't approve of!!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 04:17 PM

My Grandchildren are not MY Children and I don't have the right to tell Them what They should or shouldn't wear...THAT'S the Parents job..So I would give a voucher or money as Girls have to experiment with clothes to find Their Own style.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Muddy, I have learned, what we like and what they like are two different things!
I remember once buying a dress for one of my daughters when she was about the same age. She wore the dress once and it mysteriously disappeared! I learned years on, she hated the dress and had hidden it!!
I do feel, when you gift money, that it's up to them how they spend it...even if it's something you don't approve of!!
Hi

Spot on Art.

The thought of wearing anything chosen by her mother or grandmother would result in mega sulks and outright refusal by my daughter.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 04:21 PM

I think if you want to give them something that they will really like, then it's cash for them to get it themselves

If you want to give them something which is a gift from you, then you'll have to think hard, be really honest about whether they actually, really, honestly and truly, will like it, and will have to be prepared to accept the risk that it's pushed to the back of a cupboard never to be seen again.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I asked my DIL what I could get for my 11year old grand daughter for Easter . I was thinking of getting her an outfit from Next which is fairly trendy for children
She suggests I give her a gift voucher for another shop as she likes to choose her own clothles .

The thing is her mother allows her to dress like the rag bag much of the time and seems to give her little guidance as to what looks good so she generally looks a mess.

I would prefer to go with her and buy something that looks good .
I am happy to give her the money but don't want it wasted on rubbish .

What you think ?
Although I don't generally like the idea of giving money as a gift, if it is given then I don't feel you have any right to determine how it is spent.
And don't forget that many many 'almost teenagers' will dress in a way that adults may dislike, but it's part of growing up.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I asked my DIL what I could get for my 11year old grand daughter for Easter .
How about a chocolate Easter egg? That's what mine are getting!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 05:52 PM

The twins had a birthday last week and I found an assortment of clothes from M&S and Next and sent the links to my DIL to choose, then I bought them Everyone was happy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top