Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 11:09 AM

Now GP's could strike you off their list for being too healthy!!

Now I’ve heard everything ! Patients who only rarely visit their G.P’s face being struck off surgery lists, under NHS plans to cut costs.

Practices are being encouraged to remove anyone who has not had an appointment within 5 years and fails to respond to two warning letters.

The plan has been put forward by NHS bosses in the East of England to save money and free up space on growing surgery registers.
But experts say that people will be “punished” for simply being too healthy or for simply not wanting to bother their doctors with trivial ailments.

Surgeries across England are in crisis and struggling to cope with an exodus of GP’s quitting the profession , on top of a rising and ageing population. Those in East Anglia are under particular pressure due to high rates of immigration and an influx of pensioners moving into retirement homes there.

Officials are saying that no-one will be removed from the list that wish to stay there but it doesn’t bode well if this sort of measure is even being thought about!

I think the world is going mad when something like this is happening! what are your thoughts on it?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 11:13 AM

Re: Now GP's could strike you off their list for being too healthy!!

l totally agree Mary. It doesn't make any sense at all. If anything it's actively encouraging more visits to the doctor. At our medical centre you have to wait 6 weeks for a routine appointment !
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 11:16 AM

I might add that it would ease worries if we knew what sort of mechanism has been put in place for responding to surgeries warning letters??? It's bad enough at present just trying to get through to GP's. Surely there are many people out there assured that they have the use of their GP in times of need but are presently fortunate to be in good health?

What is happening to our NHS?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 11:17 AM

How does this save money ? Or even time ? Makes no sense at all.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 11:17 AM

Sounds like that'll be me then

Do you have a source for the article you have quoted - I'd like to go to the source material. For instance I'd need to know what a 'warning letter' means. Does it mean an explanatory letter, saying they're tidying their records, need to know if the 'patient' is still at that address and still wants to stay on the surgery list? If so, that seems eminently sensible, assuming it can be done simply using the computerised records.

As to your final question - it sounds like a headline to sell newpapers to me; I'd need to look at it a lot more closely
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

02-03-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
l totally agree Mary. It doesn't make any sense at all. If anything it's actively encouraging more visits to the doctor. At our medical centre you have to wait 6 weeks for a routine appointment !
Same here Alan, Oh for the days gone by when one could ring their surgery, make an appointment for the next day or if urgent, come at the end of surgery hours the same day !!
also your well known doctor to come out and visit on the same day!!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 11:22 AM

Worse than it sounds. This is just List Cleansing exercise to find out who needs services. GPs are funded approx £136.00 for each registered patient.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

02-03-2016, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Sounds like that'll be me then

Do you have a source for the article you have quoted - I'd like to go to the source material. For instance I'd need to know what a 'warning letter' means. Does it mean an explanatory letter, saying they're tidying their records, need to know if the 'patient' is still at that address and still wants to stay on the surgery list? If so, that seems eminently sensible, assuming it can be done simply using the computerised records.

As to your final question - it sounds like a headline to sell newpapers to me; I'd need to look at it a lot more closely
Sorry not good at all with links. Just been reading about it on page 4 of the Daily Mail and thought share it with you.
Hope that will be enough to give you a link?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

02-03-2016, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Worse than it sounds. This is just List Cleansing exercise to find out who needs services. GPs are funded approx £136.00 for each registered patient.

Hi Solo, I truly hope that is as you say. but I don't trust NHS bosses one bit. From what I am reading it seems to be just the East of England at the moment, I only hope it is just a cleansing exercise and not something more sinister, if it is it wouldn't be long before it spreads to the rest of England.

Hope it IS just newspaper headline grabbing as you say.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi Solo, I truly hope that is as you say. but I don't trust NHS bosses one bit. From what I am reading it seems to be just the East of England at the moment, I only hope it is just a cleansing exercise and not something more sinister, if it is it wouldn't be long before it spreads to the rest of England.

Hope it IS just newspaper headline grabbing as you say.

They do this every now and again and it always gets blown out of proportion.

The plan being developed in the east of England is intended to find out if people no longer require services, have moved house or have died

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top