Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
gardener
UK
gardener is male  gardener has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 09:07 PM

Speed bumps

Do speed bumps serve their intended purpose. Those near my home are in my opinion a waste of time. Those affected by them didn't speed anyway whilst those intended to slow down over them speed on.

Perhaps the reason is that those drivers are not driving their own vehicles
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 09:12 PM

Re: Speed bumps

They are a waste of time, the speeders take no notice of them.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 09:17 PM

i live in a lane very dark with just 1 lamp light...i would welcom speed bumps' as the lorrys use the lane as a cut thro 'there is a petition pending -and the village has had a few meetings on this ...having to listen befor pulling out the drive .so yes to speed bumps .. not the best things out for cars' but it serves the purpose ..
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Maddy ->
i live in a lane very dark with just 1 lamp light...i would welcom speed bumps' as the lorrys use the lane as a cut thro 'there is a petition pending -and the village has had a few meetings on this ...having to listen befor pulling out the drive .so yes to speed bumps .. not the best things out for cars' but it serves the purpose ..
It depends what type of speed bumps they are, they need to be the width of the whole road to have an effect on lorrys.
And then you would be disturbed by the noise every time a lorry drove over them.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 09:34 PM

They just re-organised the road layout in a nearby town which included a speed bump which was so high it damaged peoples cars so they had to re-do it, costing thousands. I don't mind them but agree they should be right across the road. Sometimes you get parked cars so you end up with one wheel on the bump, not good.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 09:38 PM

They wouldn't be necessary if drivers respected speed limit signs. When we visit Sheila's sister we have to run a gauntlet of them and they are the ones about 4 ft wide and if you don't hit them evenly you bounce all over the place. I am one who respects the speed limit signs but I hate those speed bumps.
gardener
UK
gardener is male  gardener has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 10:00 PM

It seems ridiculous to me to disadvantage every motorist because a few speed on residential roads.

If the police were around from time to time then perhaps that would bring about a different mentality. The village where I live I see police driving through or during the summer 2 police women exercise their horses on quiet evenings.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 10:48 AM

Our road is used as a cut through between two major roads. Our local council, in their infinite wisdom (not!!!), installed a very expensive chicane system with 1 meter wide speed "pillows" (just wide enough for a competent driver to go over them without even noticing they are there). The chicanes have neither slowed nor reduced traffic - all it has done is taken up much needed parking space - each chicane (8 in the road as a whole) has taken up 8 parking spaces.So, the situation for residents has not improved traffic wise, but has worsened considerably as regards parking. Why are all traffic planners morons????
The old fashioned, whole road-width rubber and metal "sleeping policemen" were remarkably effective and much cheaper - you couldn't drive over them above 5mph without a boneshaking, axle-shattering crunch.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 11:15 AM

I entirely agree with the majority opinion on this subject, speed bumps are a waste of time. Like others have mentioned we live on a rat run. Transit vans and larger vehicles are able to straddle them and so don't slowdown. The young regard them as a challenge insomuch as the faster they go over them the less they feel them. I've even seen a young motorcyclists and cyclists using them as takeoff ramps to perform wheelies.
A far better idea would be to have speed cameras on roads like these, rather than where they seem to be placed at the moment on major roads.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 12:11 PM

These home made speed humps were the most effective I have ever seen. They work really well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top