Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 01:17 PM

Nuclear defence???

Seems that the £41 Billion we're due to commit to renew our nuclear submarine deterrent may well be redundant before the first keel of these submarines are laid.

If that is the case, what's the point of building and launching them and having nuclear missiles aboard that not only can be seen, but targetted too??

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6900486.html
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 01:28 PM

Re: Nuclear defence???

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Seems that the £41 Billion we're due to commit to renew our nuclear submarine deterrent may well be redundant before the first keel of these submarines are laid.

If that is the case, what's the point of building and launching them and having nuclear missiles aboard that not only can be seen, but targetted too??

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6900486.html
Hi

If this the case, why is Corbyn talking about building them but only arming them with non nuclear missiles?

I am personally totally against Trident, but only because it is not ours.

We can only launch with American permission.

The French however, have a totally independent Nuclear Deterrent, which makes much more sense.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 01:32 PM

We are never going to use nuclear weapons, no one will ever push he button so why spend money on them I cannot understand.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If this the case, why is Corbyn talking about building them but only arming them with non nuclear missiles?

I am personally totally against Trident, but only because it is not ours.

We can only launch with American permission.

The French however, have a totally independent Nuclear Deterrent, which makes much more sense.

Since the report has yet to be presented to the Commons Defence Select Committee, the report clearly post-dates JJeremy Corbyn's views on the use of the previously nuclear missile submarines. We could of course, save ourselves the full £41 Billion by not only not bbuilding the submarines at all, but also not buying the upgraded missiles from the Americans.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Nuclear defence???
I know that I'm naïve and an idealist but defining nuclear weapons as a "defense" makes me feel ill.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We are never going to use nuclear weapons, no one will ever push he button so why spend money on them I cannot understand.
You're right. No-one will ever push the button whilst both sides have them. That's how they work.

I'm sure, though, that the Russians or Chinese - or even more likely (if theirs work) the North Koreans - would push their buttons if we, the Yanks and the Frogs didn't have ours.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
... I'm sure, though, that the Russians or Chinese - ..... the North Koreans - would push their buttons if we, the Yanks and the Frogs didn't have ours.
Cart before the horse, I'd say. The U.S. is the only nation who've nuked another one, which I might add was long before other nations even had nukes. So your comment makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
Cart before the horse, I'd say. The U.S. is the only nation who've nuked another one, which I might add was long before other nations even had nukes. So your comment makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE.
On the contrary, it makes absolute sense.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
I agree I can't see anyone but USA doing it and I like to believe they regretted it after they did it last time. Much more likely to be a chemical attack than nuclear.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 10:38 PM

Don't think they regretted it at all, they revelled in it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top